Moving to 6th grade!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kat., Jun 12, 2020.

1. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jun 12, 2020

Hi guys!

I spent the last 4 years at the same school (3 years in first, one in 5th) and this year I'm changing campuses and districts. I'll be teaching 6th grade reading at a 5th and 6th grade campus!

I'm SO excited! Not really sure what to expect. Does anyone have advice on classroom management, classroom set up, books I need?! I want to start preparing now even though I'm not really sure what the first of the year will look like lol. I teach in Texas by the way.

I'm just so happy. I think this is going to be a really great change in a lot of ways for me.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 16, 2020

No advice, but good luck!

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 18, 2020

Consider 1)Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones 2) The First Days of School by Harry and Rosemary Wong

One of the easiest ways to manage a class is by walking around. There is a direct relationship between how students behave and their physical distance from the teacher. You have probably observed a teacher who doesn’t move and what students are doing on the far side of the room. Most common discipline “technique” in this situation is for teachers to save themselves the effort of moving and do discipline with their mouth, “Hey! You two back there. Turn around and get some work done!”

In order to manage by walking around the furniture needs to be arranged so the teacher can walk around. In a traditional set-up, rows front to back, the teacher either takes the circumpolar route or zig-zags up and down rows. If the teacher is on one side of the room helping a student physical proximity is a moot point except for the students nearest the student being helped. Again, most teachers, noting the physical barriers between themselves and the disruption, don’t want to make the effort so their mouth is the only thing that moves. Consider: furniture should be set up in such a way that it allows the fewest steps from one student to another.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2020

Only reading? Yahoo! My favorite subject.

Is the school 1:1 devices? Are they starting out the year with distance learning or a hybrid model? How many sections of reading will you have? Are most of the kids on or below grade level? These are all questions I would have, but perhaps you already have answers.

Also, have you been able to see the room? I always liked to see what type of classroom setup challenges I would have anytime I moved to a new classroom or school.

Finally, did you hang onto a lot of your chapter books from when you taught 5th? If so, those will come in handy! Also, believe it or not, some of your first grade picture books can be used, too! Read this article if you have a sec: https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=never-old-embracing-picture-books-teach-older-students

Tyler B. likes this.
  6. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jun 19, 2020

Congrats! 6th is my favorite grade! Two novels my students loved were One Crazy Summer by Rita Garcia Williams and Ghost by Jason Reynolds. I taught middle school in a challenging urban area and it was so rewarding!

7. WilkesMarty

WilkesMarty New Member

Jun 24, 2020

Ghost by Jason Reynolds is indeed an excellent book (as long as kids can handle some mature themes).

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 5, 2020

You are going to love this assignment! Congrats.

If I could teach this any way I wanted, I'd use classroom novels to teach literature and writing. You teach the writing component by using author imitation. e.g. Let's see how Avi uses quotation marks, develops a character, varies his sentence structure and try it. I'd use well-written magazine articles and essays aimed at this age group for non-fiction organization and construction, then compare it to what Avi does. I'd have a drama unit where the class read several plays, developed a set of "rules" that plays follow and then everyone writes their own. Same with poetry.

If you use engaging literature, your students will love your class.

9. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 5, 2020

I have no advice, but good luck! I'm hoping to make a similar jump this year (from 1st to 6th - hopefully changing districts, just waiting to hear back post-interview).