Moving to 3rd

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by gator_girl, May 13, 2009.

1. gator_girl

gator_girl New Member

May 13, 2009

Hello everyone. I have been teaching Kindergarten for the past 4 years and found out I will be moving to 3rd next year. Just wanted to know what to expect? Books to read (professional and/or read alouds)? Things I need?

Thanks for all your help :)

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 13, 2009

Welcome to third! I am coming back to third next year after a few years in 4th and second. They are starting to be able to do things on their own. They can sit longer than K!:) Roald Dahl, Ramona, Mouse and the Motorcycle are good read alouds. You will have fun!!

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 14, 2009

I always start with Sideways Stories from Wayside School. It's engaging and humorous and lets me gauge how well my students will be able to attend to chapter books. Some years...I stick mostly to picture books! I was surprised my first year teaching third grade how much they still enjoy picture books.

My students have also enjoyed Holes, The BFG, and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. This year I don't feel like I got through too many because they loved Wayside School so much, we read all three in the series!

Third grade is wonderful. They are so capable, but still so sweet.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Expect a real treat! 3rd is a fun grade and I think you'll love how much they can do from day one. enjoy!

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 11, 2009

Someone posted on here that you need to remember that at the beginning of the year are still technically 2nd graders. That was so helpful to me my first year at 3rd. It takes a good 1/2 quarter to quarter of modelling to really get them where you want them. After they got the routine down, my class ran itself! It was such a great feeling knowing that if they beat me into the room, they would know what to do and were doing it!! Good luck