Moving to 3rd!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, May 24, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 24, 2013

I'm so excited!! After teaching 1st for 5 years, I'm finally moving up! I student taught 3rd grade, so I'm familiar with the "maturity level" of the kiddos and kind of familiar with the curriculum (moving to common core this year, so it's new to everyone). I'm excited!!

3. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

Congratulations!!!!!! So happy for you :)

4. dreamcat

dreamcat Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

How exciting! I love 3rd grade too, that was always my favorite to work with when I was subbing.

5. Auroradawn

Auroradawn New Member

Jun 5, 2013

I'm moving to third, too! Lol. I love this age. They're still eager to learn and yet getting a little too old for the babyish stuff.

6. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013

3rd has been a blessing for me, but just he opposite. I used to teach 6th. You're going to love this age. A perfect combination of independence (somewhat) yet they still have the zeal to learn. Have fun!

7. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 21, 2013

I'm moving too! I taught 2nd for two years, then spent the latter half of this year in first. I'll be departmentalized, teaching two classes ELA.

I'm nervous and excited. Trying to figure as much out as possible this summer!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2013

We (our other 3rd grade teacher and I) wanted to departmentalize, but we only have one teacher each for 4th & 5th, and they didn't want to teach multiple grades - even of the same subject, so we aren't bothering.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2013

That's exciting, I thought about moving to 3rd and changed my mind. Will you be teaching students that you have taught in first?

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 22, 2013

You can semi-departmentalize with just the two of you. I was self-contained the first 4 years and semi-dep this past year and it was WONDERFUL!! We switched at half day. A lot of schools around us do this in grades 3-5 with just two teachers at each grade level. One usually teaches math/science/part of LA and the other usually teacher reading/part of LA/social studies. But people mix it up a lot of different ways. I would consider it if you get along well with the other 3rd grade teacher. That way, you'd only have to learn 2 new subjects this year.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 22, 2013

DHE - yep! I feel so blessed - I have already had parents of incoming 3rd graders contacting me to tell me that they are thrilled that I will be in 3rd, and that they will be requesting me for their child's teacher!