Moving to 3rd grade in the Fall...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Christine3, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 1, 2007

And I couldn't be happier!! :D :D

Anyone else teach this grade?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 1, 2007

I teach 3rd grade. This year has been my first experience with this grade. My student teaching was in 4th and my LTS experiences were in 4th and then 5th. I was worried that my 3rd graders would be really needy and it would be a very difficult adjustment for me, but it wasn't as bad as expected! ;) I will admit that I do like the older grades better, but 3rd grade this year has been pretty awesome.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 1, 2007

You'll love 3rd grade. Happy for you.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Thanks! I am so excited!!!!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2007

I taught third grade last year and really enjoyed it. Coming from first grade you will see how much more independent the kids can be. They are fun because they are more apt. to get humor etc. and can have really good classroom discussions etc. I think you'll really like it.
    On the flip side, I am trying hard to move to first grade next year... Sigh... Don't think it's going to happen though!!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

I'm going down to 3rd after 6 years in 5th, but only for one year. I did teach 3rd for two years a while back and loved it.

8. rindakrey

rindakrey New Member

Jun 2, 2007

Hi! I'm new on this website- I just finished teaching 4th grade this year, and am being moved to 3rd grade for next year. I'm pretty excited, but nervous at the same time over new curriculum, etc. (I've only ever taught 4th grade!)

I'm looking for 3rd grade help/resources on the web- so if I find any good ones, I'll be sure to share!

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2007

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 2, 2007

Even though I love first grade.... when I walk by those third grade classrooms, with the teacher doing guided reading and the kids busy working quietly and cooperatively... I wish I could move up. Haha! I hope to teach K-3 eventually in my career so someday I'll get to experience the independent kids!! For now I'm happy with my needy but awesome first graders.

11. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jun 3, 2007

This is my first year teaching third grade and I loved it (although second is still my favorite!)

12. HawaiianPenguin

HawaiianPenguin Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

I just finished my first year teaching third grade also. I LOVED IT!!! I taught first grade last year and I thought it was awesome, too, but when I got to 3rd grade I was a little nervous, but it is such a HILARIOUS age! Holy Moley! The kids are reading and writing on their own (for the most part) and are just starting to get lots of jokes and be independent, but they still totally love you. There are so many fun things you can do with your class! If I stay at my job next year, I really, really, can't wait to teach 3rd grade again! Congrats!

13. rindakrey

rindakrey New Member

Jun 4, 2007

WOW!

You are all so awesome!! I'll have to start checking this board every day! Thanks for the encouraging words and the website- I can't wait to check it out!

I am getting really excited-- tomorrow I'm on the interviewing committee for another possible 3rd grade team member!

I'll keep my 3rd grade "helpful resources search" going, so I have something to contribute to you all!!

Thanks again- hope to "talk" soon!

:love:

14. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 4, 2007

i'm moving to 3rd grade as well from 8th!

you should also check out mrspowell.com

15. rindakrey

rindakrey New Member

Jun 4, 2007

thanks! I'll check that one out soon, too- I just finished checking out the one that Trayums recommended and I am absolutely blown away! That website (actually the teacher) is just amazing... I've never seen anything like it... I will warn you- it's quite overwhelming and very humbling!!

Anyway- thanks again- and I'll look for some more ideas for everyone myself!!

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 5, 2007

We had an active member on here angela powell. I wonder if thats her site. I got some wrestling coach website when i tried to plug in mrspowell.com!

17. 3rdgraderules!

3rdgraderules! Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

As you can see by my name, I love teaching 3rd grade. I looped with 4th and 5th graders for 3 loops while waiting for a 3rd grade opening and now that I'm teaching 3rd grade they'll have to pull me away kicking and screaming. I'm glad to hear that you are so excited. Third grade is an exciting time for kids and for those who have the privilege of working with them!

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 5, 2007

oops that should be mspowell.com

19. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I just finished up my 1st year with 3rd grade and I loved it. I taught 1st grade before that. Third graders get your jokes...enjoy being around you and can be trusted to work independently, for the most part. It is a great age. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I cannot wait to return. :)