Moving to 2nd grade from 1st!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 11, 2014

I have decided to move to 2nd grade from 1st! I am excited to join this board now. Anyone have any thoughts or advice. Thank you.

3. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 12, 2014

I never taught first, but have been in second for 15 years. I love second grade! About mid year they pull it together and make such huge gains.

Is there anything in particular you want advice about?

4. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 12, 2014

What are your favorite/least favorite things about 2nd grade. Any get advice or great strategies you use that would benefit a 2nd grade newbie?

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 12, 2014

The thing that I like least about 2nd grade is that they can still be pretty needy. Today I found myself saying, "Four people are trying to talk to me right now" more than once. Our big goal lately is to have them transition without coming up to talk to me. I hear kids calling "Mrs. E!" in my sleep.

As for the positive, I would suggest really pushing them, and trying more advanced lessons. I had them do a group research unit on human body systems, and I was shocked at what a great job they did. And this was in November! They had to paraphrase from website, and site their sources. I have a fairly low class, and they just got it. They love research, and statistics.

I hate to jinx myself, but I hope I never have to leave 2nd grade. I just love it. :)