Moving to 1st?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by leighbball, Mar 7, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2009

There might be a position open in 1st grade in my school next year and I am definitely interested, but a little nervous as I have taught K, 2, and 3 but not 1. What do you love about 1st grade? Any difficulties? My students would be coming from a fullday kindergarten, so I think that's a bonus (that they are used to the schedule already). Just curious what you think... :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

If you have taught K and 2 you won't have any trouble in 1. The students are a little more independent than K. You still need to watch them 24/7 but you will be able to give some independent work while you do reading groups, etc.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 8, 2009

You will love 1

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I love first grade. They are generally all excited about learning and the growth you see from beginning of the year to the end is amazing. I was just thinking the other day of how far they have come in reading and writing since the first week of school.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

I agree with what everyone said. I love first grade. My class is high maintenance so I don't get much teacher down time. I think maturity might still be an issue with some first graders.

I just love them though. They are adorable and the parents have that first year under their belts.

love_reading: I agree. They have come so far!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

Thanks guys! I hope to talk to my P about it this week :)

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 8, 2009

Good luck, Leigh! You would be great having all the experience below that grade and above it.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks lemon :D

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

I've taught nothing but 1st and I do love it. It's amazing seeing their growth, especially in reading.

However, procedures and routines are a must to preserve your sanity!

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2009

I have only taught first. I love it! I can't imagine doing any other grade....but that might because I've employed several workers at Lakeshore, I'm sure.

It is definitely a lot of work. I honestly believe 1st grade is the most labor-intensive even though I haven't worked any other grades. For some reason, at my school, 1st grade teachers are the first ones at the school and the last ones to leave.

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 10, 2009

Mine too! When I leave at night, the only cars in the lot are the principal's, the night custodian's, and the first grade team's! And I'm usually the first one of us to leave... :blush:

13. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I love first grade! My students also came from a full day kindergarten, and it is nice that they are familiar with a full day schedule when they get to me! They still aren't as independent as I'd like, but they are very sweet and pretty easily engaged.

I have to admit I have thought about moving up to 2nd grade at times though...:whistle:

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice! I let my P know I'm interested, so hopefully I willhear something in the near future... :D