Moving to 1st grade- resources you love?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, May 21, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 21, 2009

I just found out tonight that the teacher I am replacing in 1st grade is taking basically all of her files and resources with her. Can't say I blame her, but I don't really have the money to buy all sorts of new stuff with my wedding less than 3 months away.

So...what are some resources you can't live without that you think should be in a first grade classroom (teacher resource books, activities/games, etc)? I've taught K, 2, and 3...but almost all of my stuff is for 2nd and 3rd grades!

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

May 22, 2009

leveled books, dry erase markers, book browsing tubs, hundred number chart, calendar, post it notes

If I bought anything it would be things like play-doh, pipe cleaners, magnetic letters etc. for word work.

Are you in the same school system or a new one? Does your office keep some supplies that you can use? Do you know any o the other teachers? You might want to just start of the year with just online resources and if the teacher's are friendly just borrow what they have. If you like what they have to offer, maybe you can buy the same resource then.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2009

Thanks! :) I am staying in the same school and district- just switching from 3rd to 1st. I'll be able to take some things with me that will help in my new classroom (I'm also switching classrooms), but not everything I have can be used in 1st.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

May 24, 2009

Garage sales are a great way to stock up for a classroom. Now is a great time of year to find lots of items. I know before I started teaching I bought a lot of books and used games at yard sales and sometimes at the second hand kid stores. What about Craigslist? You could also check the Salvation Army thrift store, if you have one in your area.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2009

Books
    games
    counters- or beans
    unifix cubes
    base ten blocks
    dominos
    Judy clocks- they are expensive but somehow try to get a class set
    Bingo games
    Ziplocks and a lot of them
    White boards and dry erase markers

For walls
    Word wall words
    color words
    number line
    number set-like the bugs in a jar
    Calendar set
    yellow pocket chart with the straws
    Shapes- buy poster, cut up and laminate
    Fractions- buy the pizza man poster, cut up and laminate
    Teeth- buy the who lost a tooth poster and laminate
    money poster
    100's poster
    Noun poster
    verb poster
    Vowel sounds poster
    Homophone poster
    Antonym poster
    Synonym poster-- Laminate all posters

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

I definitely couldn't live with my Reading With Meaning book. Also, my chime is key! I couldn't live with out my Reading Workshop Board, calendar stuff... :)

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2009

Leigh- as far as supplies go like pipe cleaners, glitter etc. Save those Joanne's or Michaels coupons and run in to get your 40% off on those sorts of thing. Do this through the summer. They also have some nice organizers you could get. I just got a huge pack of white card stock for just $2 after I used my coupon and my teacher discount.

When you start out the year, make sure in your weekly news letter, that you ask for the things you need. You will be amazed of what people send it. I got everything I asked for except magnetic tape. You name it, from marshmallows to hand sanitzers, from gel pens to lunch bags. Be very appreciative and you will get it. ( provided you have a middle class or up district)

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2009

Trayums--- I finally ordered my book last night. This is my year to focus on Readers Workshop. I never really took off with it my first year. I have the writing workshop down so this year it is Reader's. I'll be calling on you again.

:hijack:

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

:D
    I think you are really going to LOVE the book!!!!!!!!! :) Call on me anytime...although I'm definitely not an expert. :D

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 25, 2009

Thanks everyone! :)

12. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

May 26, 2009

Hey Leigh,

I have alot of 1st grade resource book u can use! I am moving from BSIP to 3rd. I have also taught 1st. Maybe we can share?

J

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 26, 2009

I am about to switch from 2 to K, my fav things are my Evan Moor read and understand books, they are great! I could take a look and see what else I have that I will not need, are you close to Newark?

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 26, 2009

tiggerteacher- sounds great!

mom2ohc- I'm in South Jersey but am right off the turnpike and am willing to meet if you have anything you don't want anymore :)

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2009

Four Blocks literacy guide - google Four Blocks and you will find it. I couldn't teach without my Month by Month Phonics for First Grade. Lots of great ideas.

Any kind of blocks, Lincoln logs, Legos, playdough, geoboards, checkers, things that will help their small motor skills but are fun!

Lots of leveled books, so each child can experience success at his/her reading level. Pick these up at garage sales, etc., or go in and see what books will be available to you and level them into bins. There are online lists of popular books and what level they are. Lots of Dr. Seuss books!

You will have a blast. My main advice is to remember they need to learn in very small steps. They are not as mature or independent as 3rd graders! You will need to spend some time early on establishing the routines of your day so they are secure and there is order. Try as best you can to never take recess away!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2009

Thanks bonneb! And as a rule, I try not to take recess away unless its an absolute necessity- I tell the kids I need my "me-time" during the day :) :lol:

17. childfont

childfont Rookie

May 30, 2009

Why have you chosen that pic in your profile .

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 30, 2009

It isn't really a resource, but a helpful hint: for Open House, use cut-outs or post-it notes and write on them wish-list items, like envelopes, baggies, dry erase markers, post-it notes, pipe cleaners, tissue paper, etc.; then put them up around your door frame and encourage parents to take one to help keep your classroom fully supplied.

I am moving to 3rd after teaching K and 2 for the past 7 years....what is your fav resource for 3rd???

19. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

May 30, 2009

I really like the first grade edition of Mailbox Magazine. I think its a great resource. Your library might have a subscription to it and you can get their great ideas for free! Or they might have the Mailbox yearbook which is a compliatoin of the best of their ideas for that year.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2009

Thanks everyone! Yes, TulipsGirl, our library has a subscription, so I will def have to check that out! :)