Moving States & Transfering Credential (N. & S. Carolina)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dancing_teacher, May 26, 2009.

1. dancing_teacher

dancing_teacher New Member

May 26, 2009

Hello.

I currently hold a CA multiple subject teaching credential. It is possible that my husband's job will be transferring him to either North or South Carolina. Does anyone know the process for changing your state credential? In CA I did a one-year, full-time graduate program for my credential. What are the requirements for elementary teaching credentials in N. & S. Carolina?

Thank you for your advice and information.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 26, 2009

You can check the Web sites of the state departments of education for licensing - try Googling "North Carolina teacher license out of state", for example, and see what you get.

You can also look here: http://www.nasdtec.org/agreement.php.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 26, 2009

How long have you been teaching in CA?

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 26, 2009

Most states have a program with reciprocity. Since CA is one of the top states educationally (or at least most difficult to get certified by) it shouldn't be a major issue. I earned my master's in Tennessee, got licensed and then applied for Ohio license. For the next school year I will be in New Mexico, I simply had to submit paperwork, transcripts, and documentation from my school (where I teach). I got my license in about 2 weeks. You will probably have to wait a little longer now, since so many fresh out of college people are applying for licenses....