Moving states right after student teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by goofydad21, Sep 9, 2015.

1. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015

Hello everyone :)

I was wondering if any of you had experience moving right after you completed your student teaching. I'll be moving from Texas to Nevada right after I finish my teaching. I was hoping someone might be able to explain to me how the reciprocity between the states worked, how I should approach applying to finish the year teaching in Nevada and really anything else I should be preparing for in jumping states so quickly.

Thank you!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2015

YEP! The week after I finished my student teaching in Pennsylvania, I packed up my home and moved to Ohio. PLEASE make sure you read all of the requirements for a license in Nevada (we have a couple of teachers there who can make suggestions). I lost almost a year of Ohio licensure because PA doesn't require the Praxis PLT, which is required here. They don't always tell you that your application is incomplete. Sometimes they just stick it in the bottom of a pile and wait for the missing paperwork.

4. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Sep 10, 2015

Thank you for your answer! It actually looks like my school is going to allow me to transfer before my student teaching begins assuming I can satisfy all the requirements for Nevada Liscensure I should be good to go :)

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 10, 2015

I moved from my home state to NV for my first teaching job. Feel free to PM me. :)

6. bowler

bowler Rookie

Sep 10, 2015

Yep. Moved from Michigan to Florida. They were reciprocal and the transition was super easy.