Moving spelling tests to Wednesdays?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010

I'm toying with the idea of moving spelling tests from Fris to Weds. I'm sorta looking for feedback from parents on this board. I currently have my Reading and Spelling tests on Fris, and I think it'd be easier on the kids. Thoughts?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 4, 2010

Not speaking as a parent... but a few years ago I did spelling tests on Thursdays. I really liked it a lot better. We give so many tests on Fridays, it was nice for them to not have an additional spelling test too. I was also able to get the spelling test graded and back by the weekend!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2010

Our district recommends we have our buddy study "tests" on Wednesdays. We don't do spelling, per say, but a similar thing where they learn spelling patterns. They suggest it forces them to remember over the weekend or something like that.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 4, 2010

Would they do a spelling pretest monday and then 2 days later take a post test?

6. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Oct 4, 2010

My son has spelling tests on Wednesdays. I love it! He gets a new list every Thursday so we have the weekend to go over the words and make sure he has them down. When we're out and about on the weekend and I happen to see one of his spelling words somewhere, I point it out to him. I think he likes it a lot better, too.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 4, 2010

This sounds like a great idea! I feel badly when all assessments fall at the end of the week! Let me know what you decide.

8. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Oct 4, 2010

I think it's a good idea...I might try that too. I like the thought of getting the papers back to them by Friday, since they're always dying to know their score. Plus, it would be nice to begin a new unit after having had the test and seeing things they need to work on.

9. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Oct 4, 2010

I was considering this idea as well with my 4th graders. The only concern I have is parental support. I've heard that the parents at my school are very supportive, but I have the low-readers and unfortunately I feel there isn't much home support with them. Plus, we don't get homework on weekends, so it would be 1 less day of mandatory studying/homework.

I might try it next year for the fall semester. That way, if it's not working out I can always switch after the holidays.

Good luck!

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

I don't rely on parents ever, for anything. The kids don't get a lot of support at home, so I make sure that everything is independent. My students also do word work at school with their spelling words. My students rarely "study" for spelling tests... the point for me is that they are are supposed to be learning the skill, not just memorizing the words. So we do the picture and word sort for the skills. We also do scrabble spelling. We practice writing the words. We use the words in sentences. We go on a word hunt in a book. We look the words up in the dictionary and find the guide words on the page. There are a variety of spelling activities that they can do at school or at home.

I have a file on my computer with spelling task cards... I think they are from a PT user. I know I get bored with spelling, so I will have to put these out at some point!

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 5, 2010

Last year I moved my Word Study tests to Mondays. The scores shot up big time. It really helped my girls (I had all girls last year) get an extra day of instruction, plus a weekend to work on words with their parents.

This year I have it more spread out with my boys (I have all boys this year), and am not seeing the same result. I have more groups, so I needed to spread out the testing to make it fit with Daily 5. We've only been on this schedule for 3 weeks, but I'm not seeing the same results. I am going to continue with my new schedule (Friday, Monday, Tuesday), and have the option of moving my Friday group. I may move them to Wednesday and see what happens.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2010

I could see maybe the Thursday move. I always gave a pretest a couple days before. I would be worried that the pretest would be forgotten about over the weekend. If I did a pretest on Tuesday it gives parents an extra day over the weekend.

I know for us we like to do a lot of family stuff on the weekend, so to have to worry about studying all weekend before the pretest on Monday I would worry, especially for those students who like to get things right the first time.

Do you do get them all right on the pretest they don't have to take the post?!!?

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

We don't do a pretest at my school... it might seem like a dumb question, but what's the point of the pretest?

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 5, 2010

When I was teaching spelling, I used the pretest to give each student an individual list. Any word they missed went on that week's list, along with words I added that came from other subjects, spelling patterns, etc.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 5, 2010

So they can see which words they know and which they don't?

What a waste of time for a student to study 15 words, for example when they could have taken the pre test and seen they only needed to study for 4?

16. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

So, let's say one of your kids already know all the words... do they do anything all week for spelling? I guess I would still want mine practicing the skill, since we don't actually "study" for the test. What spelling program do you use? We use WTW, but incorrectly. I have been trying to find a different way to do it for next year.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2010

I think that sounds like a good idea. I typically give my exams on Fridays, and I would rather scatter them out a bit.

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

I'm liking the idea. I actually had a parent ask if it would be possible to get the next week's words on Friday so they could start studying over the weekend. Problem is, we do individualized lists based on Monday's pretest. This would definitely solve that problem...
    Something to think about!

19. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Oct 5, 2010

I do three tests a week. Pre-test on Monday, mid-week test on Wednesday, and the final test on Friday. If on Monday or Wednesday, they get a 100, they don't have to take it the rest of the week. Most weeks, I have at least 5-6 that don't have to take it...and the others always seem to try really hard to earn that small reward. Plus, it's less for me to try and grade on Fridays.