Moving Schools

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jordan, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Mar 31, 2017

I think we can all agree changing grade levels or even schools is nerve wracking. I have a good job in 4th grade in a very decent school. However, I plan to leave for 2 reasons.

1. I drive over 45 minutes each day just one way. I pass 8 schools on my way, all very nice and highly rated schools.
    2. I don't think 4th grade is my niche (not a huge fan of 4th grade standards).

Hiring season is coming up and this is my first time trying to switch schools. So I have two things that I am wondering. One, how can I really get my name out to those schools where I would really LOVE to teach? I have heard through the grape vine they will have openings, but it is incredibly competitive. Also, is it better to let your principal know you plan to transfer when you get your intent letter, or not so you know you still have a job just in case? I've gone back and forth on that.

Thank you!!

3. HermioneGranger

HermioneGranger Rookie

Mar 31, 2017

For me, (and some will disagree,) reaching out directly to principals directly (via email,) and attaching a resume has worked well. Having a LinkedIn profile is helpful as well. I would not recommend adding your current employer. Asking your current admin (if you have a good rapport,) for a letter of recommendation would be wise as well. You could always say it's for your professional portfolio, which is true. I had a great relationship with both of the principals who have been in my school, so I was very transparent about saying that I was on the look out for something else since I have my masters degree. Do you have children of your own? If so there's things I could add from a parent's angle...

I'm kind of in the position that you are heading into. I have taught fifth grade at the same school for over a decade, and accepted a third grade position in a different district. It will be a change, but I believe worth it!