moving rooms....help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jenn888, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013

We have been in school for one week now, and I have to move classrooms:dizzy: A new P got hired at my school last week and he is making lots of changes, one being moving 5 teachers to different rooms. I am stressed beyond belief from first week of school stuff, moving classrooms, and did I mention I start my Master's program on Monday:eek: We all know how long it takes to get your room set up just right. I had mine perfect and now I have to start over. I am coming from a newer classroom with TONS of storage to a room in the oldest part of the building with ZERO storage. We will be moving next week, and I feel like I need to write my parents a note telling them about the room change. Can anyone help me with how to word the letter. I figured I would start with..."It's been a great first week in 2nd Grade"...:help:

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 22, 2013

I would have them email the P and complain that moving rooms is disruptive to their children's education.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2013

I can't believe the P is making you do that.

Do you send home a newsletter? I'd write a vague blurb- we're moving rooms to make us closer to blahblahblah. Put a positive spin on it.

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

That's crazy. I can't really think of a valid reason beyond, "The roof fell down" to have someone move classrooms AFTER school has started. Your P sounds nuts.
    Whatever you do, make it sound positive.

6. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

Why does it seem like so many second grade teachers are having a rough start to their year?????? This is making me nervous.:(

My only advice is to do the best you can and some things may have to wait a couple of weeks until you have time to deal with them.

I have no clue as to what to tell parents. Did your principal give you a reason for moving you?

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

Personally, I would ask for their help with the move. They can then feel ownership with the new room and, hopefully, see what you need (and get it for you!). It can't hurt to dream.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 23, 2013

Oh man. I feel for you.

I have to move my room in a few weeks too. But at least I knew when I set up that I was going to have to take it all back down.:dizzy:

What is the reasoning that the P has for moving people around? It seems really odd. I think your letter should probably go something like "We are being relocated to consolidate and make more efficient use of available space. This will be an opportunity for your child to help design their ideal classroom! We can also use volunteers to help make this transition. Please sign up with Ms. So and So."

give the kids a little mini project and discussion about what they think is great to have in the classroom and why. They can sketch it out...you get the idea.