Moving Problems

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kelcan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. kelcan

kelcan Guest

Aug 8, 2017

Hey everyone! I teach elementary school and I have twin girls (first time mom) coming at the end of September. My husband works in the trades and does not have insurance, so I need to teach this school year. We moved out of state to be closer to my mom, who is retired and will help watch the twins after I return from maternity leave in November until the end of the school year. I am so depressed about the move because it was more out of convenience than wanting to move. I will be teaching at a new school and I miss everything about my old life! I hate the town I'm in and don't know if I can make it through the whole school year. How do I make this a good opportunity and not feel resentful?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 8, 2017

I would start by choosing to be excited. Wake up and tell yourself it's going to be s good day. Smile whenever you see your kids, your husband, or yourself in the mirror. You'll find yourself happier in no time.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2017

You are so fortunate to have landed a job! Keep in mind you are doing this for your family. You can do this- your babies are in great hands with your mom and your new students are going to be so excited to meet you. Moving can be stressful (I did it twelve times in 20 years as a military spouse!). You need a new mindset- get out and find things to do and love about your new town. This will be ok...I promise!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    AlwaysAttend likes this.
  5. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

It's not easy if you already hate the town you are in. Gotta somehow unwind this 'hate' and maybe keep an open mind and observe the town environment to see how you can make the best of it. If you can't beat 'em (the situation), embrace 'em.

If it still can't be done, perhaps you can plan for a getaway every month or two since your babies are now in good care. That oughta take your mind off every now and then.. :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

Remind yourself that your husband could only provide benefits such as yours only by working himself into an early grave. Accept that your hormones are erratic, which is part of your unhappiness, and no one likes to move when they feel like the choice was made for them, not a choice they made on their own. Your old life was fine, but it didn't offer what you needed. When you don't need free babysitting, move back. Nothing is forever. I will agree that you need to find a way to stop blaming your new job and address because they "aren't where you want them to be." Babies on the way - soon nothing will mean more to you than having your mom nearby and knowing that your benefits are top notch for your growing family.

czacza likes this.
  7. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 9, 2017

People. People help create connections, offer support, teach us, and just make the world go 'round. I battled homesickness horribly once and I now realize how important it is to go out and meet people and seek friends as early as possible. Book club, mom club, class, library storytime, religious institution if interested, anything! Once your children are born, you'll find they can be our little ambassadors in many situations. It'll probably be easier once you start work, but until then focus on making some connections and finding little things you actually do like. Good luck and hang in there!