Moving: Praxis to Non-Praxis State

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by littletaychan, Aug 29, 2013.

1. littletaychan

littletaychan Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate sub-forum to post this, but has anyone had the experience of moving from a Praxis state to a non-Praxis one? I'm from Kansas, I passed the Praxis for my state (158), and I definitely plan on moving once I finish the alternate route program I'm in and obtain my Master's simultaneously. I'm looking at states like Texas or California, both of which use their own state-developed tests.

I'm just curious about additional requirements I might have to meet or, God forbid, taking another subject-matter test for those states.

All input is appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2013

Most states that use tests that aren't Praxis will require you to take theirs before issuing a full license, though they may well grant an interim license that will let you teach for a year or two while clearing the stsate's requirements.

For the record, Texas's tests (and now Georgia's) aren't Praxis but, like Praxis, they are ETS.

Your best bet to find out the requirements for a given state is to Google "___ teacher licensure out of state" and look for Web pages that are clearly that state's department of education: the domain name will be .gov, for example, www.ctc.ca.gov.

California's single-subject tests are still mostly paper-based, except for CSET Math. For paper-based tests, the test session is five hours; you may sign up for and take as many or as few subtests per test session as you like, and you have all five hours. The emphasis tends to be much less on what you can memorize than on how you can reason using the tools of the discipline. Subtests include constructed response components (well, except CSET English, the four subtests of which are either constructed response or multiple choice but not both).

What's your subject area?

4. littletaychan

littletaychan Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

Math. However, it's kind of sad there isn't national consistency. I spent so much time and energy prepping for it and finally passed, and to think, I'd have to take ANOTHER one. That's ridiculous. I think I read that Texas accepts 0061, but I'm not 100%. I'll do a little more research as I get closer to my move date. I'm hoping that having an MAT will somehow exempt me from more tests. I HATE standardized tests haha.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2013

You'll want to avoid California, then: the subtests of CSET Math are the most challenging with which I'm acquainted.

6. rapple

rapple Rookie

Sep 22, 2013

littletaychan ~ you would have to take 2-3 Math CSETs in California, depending on the level of credential you want to acquire. With the new computerized format, the math CSETs have become even more challenging and frustrating. I personally know 3 candidates who have B.S. in Math degrees and cannot pass the tests (one friend has failed after 4 attempts).

7. littletaychan

littletaychan Rookie

Sep 27, 2013

Thanks rapple. All signs point to Texas then. It looks like all of the tests have been modified, Praxis and CSET, the former to fit the CC standards. I hope your friends don't give up. I almost did, but I eventually passed. Now it's on to adding another endorsement for English Language Arts, if I can even find study materials that fit the new test. Eye Roll**

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 27, 2013

Which test(s)?

Look around here for discussions of various states' English/language arts exams. A number of the posts on English/language arts are on CSET English, for the simple reason that California has a big population from which to draw prospective teachers, but experience suggests that the different states' tests share a number of useful similarities. Start with the thread "Elmer's English resources", which is near the top of the thread list.