Moving out of state for work?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Jun 11, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Okay, the last thing I want to do is ever move out of So. Cal, especially Huntington Beach, but the lack of teaching jobs in CA is rather depressing, and well...call me paranoid but I only have until 2016 to clear my preliminary credential.

I was told by my school that our credential cannot be cleared out of California, but to me that doesn't make sense (or seem fair). From what I've been told--and I could be wrong, is that CA has the most hoops you have to jump through in order to get your credential.

So my question is this: IS it possible to clear my credential out of state? It doesn't seem fair to peole who are married to military men who get transfered to different states etc. IS there a way to move to another state if a job is offered me and clear my credential there?

3. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jun 11, 2012

I'm moving out of state for a job. I just got hired and they are working with my to transfer my credentials. All I have to do is apply for certification and take a few tests.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I'm not sure if California works differently, but many states have reciprocity, which allows you to use your currently license to obtain a license in another state. Often it involves taking a few additional tests or classes.

I would suggest talking with a certification office of a state that you are looking to apply to in order to get the information needed to transfer to that state.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Oh I'm not looking yet :) I just want to have a backup plan. Plus with my grandma's health...if anything does happen to my Gma and family can' move down to help us--I'm going have to consider moving near them.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

Where does your gma live? You might want to check that state to see.

I suggest just calling a nearby state's certification office and asking the question. You don't have to start the ball moving, but just ask what you would need to do. Then you have the information if you need it.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

To transfer my license from Michigan to North Carolina, I had to write a check. That is it. Michigan has much stricter guidelines than NC does.

8. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Oh I live with them in Huntington Beach, but if my grandpa doesn't last long on dialysis, her sister lives in New Hampshire. But I will look into every alternative and call the numbers I need to call :)

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 11, 2012

I qualified for certification in Arizona with my preliminary CA credential, but Nevada will only take a cleared credential.

Basically it depends on the state.

I think what you have to do is get that state's teaching cert and if you ever want to come back to CA, deal with whatever the rules are at that time. I think with this backlog of teachers unable to clear their credentials due to a lack of available jobs, something is going to have to change soon.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

I'm pretty positive that you can't clear your CA credential while teaching in another state, but I wouldn't let that deter you. I would, however, maybe try emailing/calling someone from the CCTC about what would happen if you taught somewhere else for a few years and then came back with a preliminary CA credential and a few years experience in another state. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't clear your credential without BTSA, and you can't do BTSA unless you are teaching in a CA school.

I don't think you'll have much trouble GETTING another state's license (since CA has ESL embedded, etc), but as for CLEARING it...I'm just not sure. :-/

Best of luck to you. Have you applied to anything in the LA area? I know charters there are hiring - and people are getting those jobs.

11. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Any love for special education?? Northern San Diego County could be an option? A much better commute than LA. Not that jobs are easier but in sped at my school very few applicants -- A long drive 1 and 15 minutes one way but it is a job.

12. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

I am considering charter schools, even though I would prefer public schools. I'm just wondering if charter schools in CA have BTSA.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 11, 2012

I relocated to CO for a job and all I had to do was pay for the license and then take the same first year teacher class that all new teachers (including those originally certified in CO) have to take. Once I completed the class I was able to apply for my professional credential. Most states I looked in waved the requirements for additional tests and whatnot if you had taught for 3 years or more, but I never looked in CA. Some states I would have had to take some more praxis tests.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

Yes, I think most do. Mine does, as does my friend's.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

16. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Thank you so much, TeacherGroupie! This is so helpful! :)

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2012

*beaming* I try.

You might also try having a chat with the credentialing people at the county office of education - in your case, that's OCDE - to see what other options might be out there for you.