Moving Out of State and Due Process

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by spedteacher90, Dec 9, 2016.

1. spedteacher90

spedteacher90 Rookie

Dec 9, 2016

There is a high probability that I will be moving at the end of the school year in order to teach in a different state. There is also a chance that a parent may file due process either this year or within the next couple of years. Are there any laws about teachers needed to provide documents/appear at the hearing for a due process case when they are no longer in that district, let alone that state? I've been trying to search an answer online, but I've come up with nothing.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2016

If you think it is going to happen, keep any documentation related to that student/parent - print out or save copies of all emails, etc.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2016

Leave copies with your child study head/adminstator of your lesson plans, documentation/anecdotal notes you kept on student progress as well as any communications regarding this student. Keep copies for yourself as well.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2016

Be prepared to be called to testify if it gets that far. I would guess that the district will settle to avoid court.

bella84 likes this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2016

Might be called for conference calls.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 18, 2016

I was in a similar situation this past summer. I never did get called to testify, but I easily could have been - by either party (school or family). Before I left, I wrote a detailed report based on my observations and interactions with the students, detailing all of the interventions and my professional opinions as to their effectiveness. I organized all of my files for that particular student and handed them over to the lead SPED teacher at the school. I did not make copies for myself, but that was due to my own comfort level. I did consider making the copies and was even advised to by a colleague who had been involved in a due process case before. I just didn't feel like it was worth the effort to me. Luckily, they settled out of court before I had to get involved any further.

As has been said, prepare yourself to be called to testify, if it gets that far. Keep copies of anything you are concerned about needing to reference, should you be called to testify. Make sure your files and reports are all in order before you leave.