Moving grades...a huge leap

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by snowyday, Mar 4, 2007.

1. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

I am currently a 5th grade teacher in a public school. I have taught lower grades in the past but not below 3rd. I am thinking I might want to teach primary grades but I am nervous about giving it a shot since I do enjoy my 5th graders. There is a K-1 position opening up and I am considering going for it. Is there anyone out there that has things I should think about in regards to this big grade change?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

Hmm. Most of my experience was intermediate and then I stopped to have a son. When I returned to teaching, my "entry" back into teaching was to take a kdg position. I had always said I would never be able to teach kindies. But I took the position and taught in kdg 3 years.

Very different. But, I think I became a better person and teacher for having taught at that level. It was really a switch to teach kiddos that couldn't read- it was a whole new way of teaching. I was always on the go. Singing, talking, etc, etc. I lost my voice a couple of times. It was very rewarding but found I needed to move back up.

I think that if you're open to it, that's what's going to make or break the move. If you want the change, and if you're willing to learn from it- it'll be a good move. Plus, you'll open up your horizons and get a new perspective. That is gold in itself.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 4, 2007

Also consider what kind of personality you have. Kinder teachers need tons of patience and have the willingness to realize that every behavior has to be drilled over and over and over and over. It's a fun, playful and creative grade though. One teacher in our building went from 3/4/5 grade rotation to pre-k. She was so worried about the move. She offered structure and organization to pre-k lessons that wasn't as prominent before. And she suprised herself by being a very loving, accepting, flexible, and maternal type of teacher with these kids. They absolutely love her.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 4, 2007

One of the biggest difference I see between kindergarten and fifth grade is teaching the routine of school. It takes a kindergarten a couple of months to really understand the rules, routines and how to learn. In fifth grade they know what is expected of them. Also, the material for a kindergartener is extremely different than that of a fifth grader. You will not be able to have those open discussions with a kinder. Well not the same depth.
    Personally my favorite two grades are kindergarten and 7th grade math. I don't like first grade all that much. I thought I did until this year.
    Going into this year. I thought I liked k, 1 and 5 to 8. I hated working in 2nd and 3rd grades a couple yrs ago. Now I have decided I like k, 3, 6,7,8. I think I'm a little strange.

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Mar 4, 2007

i jumped from 6th to 1st this year and i love the change. i needed it and i was very open to it as well....
    the hardest part for me was routine as someone mentioned earlier and changing the way i give directions....literally one thing at a time.
    i find i have huge expectations for my first graders and i think i get that from coming from the upper graders.
    i allow a whole lot more independent work than my first grade partners....

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

It is true you have to teach very differently when you teach kindies. I agree with JenL with high expectations. I too had high expectations for my kindies and they met them with enthusiasm.

I enjoyed K because I incorporated music and puppetry into my teaching. It was such a great opportunity to be a very animated teacher.

8. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Mar 4, 2007

It may be expensive to switch. Think of your personal library and professional books..you'll need a lot of new reader books with simple vocab. and also new professional books (if you use them) to help you teach some of the lower grade literacy centers, etc.

In light of that, change is usually a good thing. Go for it if you would like! Many people wouldn't even consider such a switch! You're a trooper!:)

9. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Mar 4, 2007

Last year, I taught 5th grade and this year, they needed me to do kinder. I thought I would hate it, but I have come to find that I love it!! It took some time to get used to all the changes, but I find myself excited over the possibility that I may be able to stay in kinder now. It did cost a bunch to switch grades as was mentioned, but I think it was worth it!!!!