Moving from Special Ed to Reg. Ed...please HELP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Jul 27, 2014.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Jul 27, 2014

Hi all,

As you all know I left teaching last December. I was burned out on special ed and here in NC I also was sick of the multi-year pay freeze I got stuck in. I was halfway done with a master's degree and then (at the time) they announced no more masters pay for degrees completed after April or May of 2014 (I think??? They may have put that back in the budget now). I wouldn't have graduated til late in 2015.

Anyways, disheartened, I left and also quit my master's program in school counseling.

Last summer, (in 2013) I interviewed for multiple regular ed positions--an 8th grade math, a 7th grade math, even a school counselor position because I had enough credit hours to do so and had middle school math on my license also. However, I kept getting calls that said "well, we went with someone else for the math/guidance/whatever but we'd love to bring you on board for special ed"--no doubt because I have years of experience in special ed.

Is it impossible to get out of special ed if I have experience in it? My husband and I are going to be moving to FL soon, where pay is significantly better. I am actually thinking about adding on French to my license in Florida so I can try to become a French teacher. We are going to be doing a lot of world travel this next year and I am a fairly advanced French speaker who can probably CLEP out of 14 of the required 30 hours in Florida.

I'm just scared if I take the time and spend the money to do this, principals will still try to sweet talk me into special ed and that is not where my heart is anymore. Any advice?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

I switched from special education to general education. Principals probably wouldn't try to interview you as a general ed teacher and then hire you as a special ed teacher... what I'd worry about more is getting hired as a general ed teacher and asking you after a year to move. This is going to be my third year in the classroom, and every year my principal asks if I'd consider moving back to special ed. Every year I say no, and every year she respects my decision. It's lucky for me that she does though, because she does have the ability to move me without my approval.

4. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Jul 27, 2014

I almost feel like if I choose to add on French, I simply won't include special ed on my license. Like, I will apply for French only and make it clear to the Florida Dept. of Education that I ***do not want*** special ed included even though the coursework is there.

If I don't have it, they can't make me do it, right? :lol:

I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not including it though. It at least would show an interviewing P that I definitely could handle special ed kids being in my class and accommodate them.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

I'd keep it on your certificate, if only because eventually you might change your mind about teaching SPED. I'd say it would just be a matter of being very upfront at interview time about your interests and reason for applying.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2014

As a HR supervisor once said to me, you can never have too many initials after your name. Having the endorsement doesn't mean you have to use it, but the real question becomes this: if you lose the endorsement, don't keep it current, will you lose it entirely? Here in NJ, all of our endorsements are recorded at the state DOE anyway, so any HR department can find out exactly what we are able to teach. I just hate to think of anyone getting rid of an endorsement when it is not keeping you from getting other endorsements or jobs. Just my opinion.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I taught regular ed for a year after teaching sped for two, but it was in a horrible school, lol. It was never implied that anyone wanted me to switch to sped. I used to think that I preferred gen ed, but that experience taught me that I prefer to work in a nice school regardless of what I'm teaching. At one point I also considered dropping sped from my license and I'm so glad I didn't! Last year I did interview for a gen ed position where they told me they'd filled that one but wanted me to work in a sped position. It was a severe behavior unit which I literally would not do for all the money in the world. I interviewed in about 10 districts and that was the only one where that happened. I did get offered another gen ed position around the same time I got offered my current position. I chose this one because it was in the area I wanted to live in, and I have no regrets! I actually feel that if I wanted to switch to gen ed within my district, I could easily do so. I think my principal would love to have someone with sped experience in a regular classroom, since we have so many kids below grade level regardless of their label. The funny thing is now I think I enjoy sped more than I would gen ed...which is not what I would have ever said in the past. If my principal asked me if I wanted to move tomorrow I can 100% say that my answer would be no.