Moving from special ed to general ed

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Culturanta, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Culturanta

Culturanta Rookie

Mar 16, 2016

I am a high school teacher with a certification in special education, and an endorsement in English. I am considering transitioning from special to general ed and wanted to hear from others who have taken this journey. In particular, how a larger class size and other dynamics impacted you as a professional and whether your satisfaction with teaching improved as a result.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2016

I switched a few years ago from elementary resource to 3rd grade. I think it can vary so wildly from district to district and even school to school. I enjoyed teaching 3rd grade immensely, but unfortunately was in a truly awful school. My principal ended up getting fired mid-year and losing her license (that's how bad she was), but unfortunately that didn't happen until 2 years after I had already left. I could go on and on, but she was a nasty vindictive person who made everyone miserable. I left after only one year and the staff turnover was around 75% that year. The only people who stayed were people who had so many years in that they couldn't afford to leave. I had to go back to sped in order to find another position in a better school. Honestly, I did prefer teaching gen ed and think I would be happier in that position, but my number one priority is being in a school that's a good place to work, regardless of what I'm teaching. I like the way our sped program is set up and I have a decent team, so that helps. If my school ever went to a full inclusion model where I was pushing in and being in more of an assistant role rather than teaching my own resource classes, I would definitely try my hardest to get back into gen ed.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 16, 2016

I've gone back and forth - at the elementary level. I'm looking to move back to gen ed from sped right now, and I will never return to sped again. I know we're not supposed to say one job is easier than another, but, in my experience, gen ed has been much, much easier... and I always get more respect from everyone - colleagues, admin, parents, etc.

Sayonara, sped.