Moving from Secondary to Elementary Ed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Jan 26, 2010

I'd like to move from Secondary to Elementary Education.

I'm currently certified as a Secondary Mathematics teacher in NJ and I would like to take my career in a different direction.

Would I need to apply for an undergrad program, graduate program, alternate route certicfication, or something else?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 26, 2010

Call your State Dept. of Ed or look on their web site to see what you can find. If you talk with someone be sure to write their name down and keep it in case you have any problems.

4. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jan 28, 2010

I have talked to multiple people about this. From what I understand it is not simple task. Decide where you want to attend and contact someone there. For me they wanted to see my transcript before they could make a decision. I would either be going undergrad or getting a masters. With the masters they didn't know which route I would be taking.
    Unfortunately there is no straight answer to this. You will have to research and ask.

Good Luck

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

In Texas you just have to pass the required test in pedagogy and the required test in subject area to gain certification in another age level. Coursework might help you get hired.

Have you taught or subbed at the early level? It does take a different kind of patience and understanding with younger students.