Moving from one center to another

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Aug 15, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 15, 2006

I would like to hear some different ideas on how you have children choose centers. I used to use library pockets and tongue depressers with the childrens names on them. I always rotated the children and they never chose their own center. This year I would like to allow them to choose their own and I am not sure I want to use the library pockets and tongue depressers.

3. millie93

millie93 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

My class uses a "centers board" which has each center labeled on a 5x7 (approx) card or piece of paper with a picture of that center (sand table, markers, etc). Then below that there are stickers for how many students can be at that center. Ex..play dough can have 5 or 6 students but listening center may only have 3 or 4. The children find their name which is on a clip (or clothes pin) and puts it on one sticker. So, if a student says, "I want to go to the listening center", you can say, well is that center full? Let's go look and see if there are any stickers left. Hope that makes sense. That way, each student can pick his or her own center but you can still control how many kids per center.

4. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Aug 15, 2006

I teach students to choose activities independently by making good choices and being accountable for their learning. I use the method discussed at http://www.independentworktime.com

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2006

Discuss with the children on the first day how they are to choose centers and how many children should be in each center. You could even post cut outs of children in each center to represent the number.(For example, post 3 children cut outs on the wall with the number 3 to show how many children should be in Dramatic Play area at a time). And make sure that you have a minimum number of activities out during the first week. This will keep center time calm, productive and keep things running smoothly. You can also use a timer or bell and allow the children to choose centers freely but when the bell rings or timer goes off, they must remember to leave that center and try another. This encourages the children to explore diff. centers throughout the day and at the same time, gives them the freedom to choose independently. I always verbally direct certain children to certain centers if I know a certain child may need to spend a little time at the writing table for example. Then when he/she has worked at the writing table for a short while, I will then let them know that they are free to go to another center.

6. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 16, 2006

I use something similar to Millie except that our "stickers" (actually pictures of flags as we are going for a multicultural theme) are right on the centers on the side of a shelf. Below the flags are the same number of hooks and the kids travel with a keychain with their name on it. Part of our company policy is to let the children make choices but we feel that the kids at this age (4 and 5) need to have some responsiblity so we give them 3 things they need to get done. We also have a display board with library pockets on it. Each pocket has a child's name. When a child finishes an activity they recieve a popsicle stick so we can find out with just one look if they finished their work or not.

7. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Aug 16, 2006

Thanks everyone! I think we have decided to use our pockets and tongue depressors but this year we have mounted them at the center. The children will have a popsicle stick with his/her name on it and we put stickers on the library pocket so the children will be able to see how many children are allowed at that particular center.