moving from NJ to VA to teach?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by masnilradym, Sep 24, 2010.

1. masnilradym

masnilradym New Member

Sep 24, 2010

Thinking about moving to VA from NJ to teach...the plan is still in the making. I know that if you have less than 3 years of teaching experience (which I do) then you would have to take the VCLA and the VRA. My question is, how long do I have to take the test? Can I get hired and sign my contract for VA without having taken the test? In other words, can I teach in VA with a NJ license and if so, for how long

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Sep 24, 2010

I moved from PA to VA and I was hired at the last minute (late August.) They gave me a provisional license and it was good for 3 years. This will only work if it's not a Title 1 school. If it is a title 1 school you need it before you start there. (I believe so anyways.)
    The VCLA and VRE were pretty easy though, you just have to find a date to take it.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 24, 2010

I'm at a T1 school and I know all the girls on my team that moved to VA did not have it before they started teaching at our school... all of them waited until the spring of their first year.

5. masnilradym

masnilradym New Member

Sep 25, 2010

Ohh, that's good. How long do you have to take it? but does it look "better" when you're applying if you already have it handy? I was looking into two different areas (Newport News, V. Beach, Williamsburg and Alexandria/Faifrax) I teach SPED