Moving from K to 2nd

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by elysiansmiles, Jul 6, 2009.

1. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Hi! This is my second year teaching, and I just got notice from my principal that there's been some moving-around over the summer and its likely I'll be in 2nd grade next year. I'm really excited! But this past year I taught Kindergarten. It seems like a scary jump! Has anyone made the jump from K to 2nd before (or the other way around)? What differences in classroom management can I expect? How much "older" can I expect 2nd graders to act, especially at the beginning of the year? Are there any other tips to help me make this transition? Are there any peculiar things that 2nd graders do that I should know of? I'm excited, but nervous about the change!

3. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Welcome to the second grade club! You will love it. Second grade is so much fun. The students come in and can read and write. By mid-year they are reading chapter books and by the end of the year they start multiplication. You will see so much growth... I'm really excited for you!! Use this site as a resource, it will be helpful. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me.

4. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 6, 2009

2nd grade is awesome!! I'm sad to be leaving it this year. :( The kids seem to be a lot calmer in 2nd than K. 2nd graders still pick their noses and tattle just like K! They still love you too and want to draw you lots of pictures and tell you all about their weekend just like K. They are more independent - especially 2nd semester! You'll have to keep them busy because some of them blow through work that you thought was hard! :) That's a fun challenge though. I always had a list of "I'm Finished..." posted on the wall filled with things for them to do. They love to read (partners mostly) because they're really good at it. They love to draw and be silly still. They love to sing too. Make time for it! (right before/after lunch is a great time to squeeze in a couple of songs) You will love it! Congratulations on the exciting adventure!

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Last year we had two teachers transition from K to 2nd. Their biggest challenge was determining grades as they did not have grades in K. There is such a difference in abilities between the two grades so it was challenging determining this for subjects like writing. They love the fact that they were much more independent (although this happens after winter break). They love 2nd now and I am sure you will too.

6. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

Thank you guys so much!

Our school recently adopted an online grading system that requires every child in our distrcit, grade K-12 to receive 2 grades a week in every subject. So I'm actually excited to move up to 2nd for grading reasons, because gosh is it hard to grade K kids! I'm figuring that my 2nd graders will understanding what grades are more than my K kids did and that there will be more opportunities to give them grades so that grading will be more meaningful.

I'm so excited, thanks for your advice!

7. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

I moved from K to 2nd last year and it was a great decision!! I've wanted to teach 2nd all along anyway but K was available so I took the chance to get my foot in the door. Anyway, 2nd graders are great! They are much more independent and you will feel relieved at the amount of things you can do with them. They can take direction better without being babied so much but still love to come to school and look up to you like you are the best! The curriculum is what I love as well. I have always loved english and writing and you can really explore that with them! Science is also more fun because you can do experiments where they will want to participate and learn and even try everything themselves! Overall, you will really enjoy this age group and the new experiences! Good Luck!

8. Trac

Trac Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

I am moving from K to 2nd and I am nervous. I love to sing and really don't want to give it up. If you know and age appropriate songs let me know. Thanks. Good luck

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

I'm moving from 5th to 2nd! Found out today and very excited about it!

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Second is amazing!

I have taught K and 1st and I find myself happiest in 2nd!

As was mentioned before, they grow SO much academically and socially in second grade.

Regarding singing ~ I did a LOT of singing/movement with the second graders but you'll notice they'll look around first nervously to make sure it's "cool" to dance/sing and be silly!! Especially toward the end of the school year, they "pretended" not to like to activities. :)

I wish you best of luck in second grade ~ you will love it!

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

DON'T give it up!! They LOVE it (even if you can't sing-like me). I constantly found songs on the internet to teach them to go with what we were learning in different curric. areas. Continent song, math songs, etc. It was great fun.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I moved from K to 3rd then to 2nd. 2nd is by far my fav. I love their independence, the fact that they love me no matter what, their eagerness and attitude. For the most part they don't cry at the beginning like K (there are usually 1 or 2), they still love to hear stories, the academic growth is so cool!!! And the pride that they have for themselves b/c they really see the growth. Welcome and enjoy!!!