Moving from K to 2nd next year

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by gazing_iscariot, May 13, 2010.

1. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

May 13, 2010

Hi guys,
    I'm being transferred schools and grade levels as well next year and I don't know anything about 2nd grade (I'm a 1st year teacher). Could anyone give me any suggestions about things that I need or that are commonly used in 2nd grade?

3. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 13, 2010

Well depending on where you teach some of the 2nd grade students may be on a kdg level, 2nd graders can do a few more things by themselves they are not as needy, they should be able to write especially their own name etc, read, more helpful. I teach 2nd it takes a special person to teach kdg.

4. susieq

susieq Rookie

May 15, 2010

I, too, have moved from second to kindergarten, and back to second. I work for a school district that made it easy and supplied a ton. Depending on what state you are in--some of the skills taught are regrouping/ renaming, cursive, multiplication as repeated addition, text types, story elements, lots of digraphs, vowel combos, prefixes, suffixes, contractions and other parts of speech, paragraph writing, 6 traits of writing, people long ago and today, types of matter--I would start off with getting a copy of the curriculum and then head to the teacher's supply store to look for items to tie in to that.