Moving from grade 6-8 to grade 2

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by rv8396, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rv8396

rv8396 New Member

Jul 7, 2009

Hi all,
    I am taking a position as a 2nd grade teacher at a private school. I haven't been in the classroom for the past 5+ years.... I took time off for my babies. This past April-June I subbed for a 5th grade maternity leave. The experience was different, but I think I did ok. (The administration offered me a job, I guess thats good.)

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for insight, tips from you 2nd grade vets. What would a schedule look like? WHat should I expect from the students?, etc....

General help would be great!

3. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I absolutely love teaching second grade.

I think you need to know what is expected for your state, I'm sure there is a website in Mass. Also see if you can look at any of the teaching materials that are already available at the school. What reading/math etc. series is the school using? Talk with other teachers who are teaching second grade in that school. How many teachers are there per grade?

There is so much that a second grader will learn in the course of a year. So pm me with specific questions if needed. I'm always willing to help.

Second graders will come into the year with a little bit of a regress due to summer vacation. I like to take writing samples during the first two weeks of school and compare them to the end of the year, you'll be amazed at what they can do!

We do journaling about four days per week. I'm thinking of varying it between 3-4 days so that they give me their best effort. I used to do 5 days a week, but students got to where they didn't try as hard when it was everyday.

Students will come into your room reading. By Dec./Jan. students are often starting their first chapter books, until then Henry and Mudge or Frog and Toad are good. Students will need to master their addition and subtraction facts to 18 by the end of the year... I'm still trying to perfect this one! Ahh.. I'm rambling!

Basically here was my schedule from last year:
    8:00-8:30 Attendance, Calendar, and Breakfast
    8:30-ELA 1st was Writing (i.e. M-Brainstorming, T-Draft, W-Finish Draft or Revise & Edit or Revise w/partner/teacher, TR-Final Draft (for those who are ready), F-Presentations of writing... some may be finishing their drafts too..)
    When Writing is done we go into reading and that entails the story, grammar, spelling, vocab etc.
    10:45 Get ready for lunch
    11:20 Math
    12:00 Recess
    12:30 Journals
    1:08 Specials
    1:52 Social Studies/Science
    2:30 Dismissal

I hope this helps! Good luck!!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2009

I'd been in the second grade classroom before, but my last grade level before now was sixth grade. I liked sixth grade, but second grade has always been my favorite. I'm sure you will love the little ones- especially since you have little ones!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

You will love second grade. Find out what your State's Standards are, there should be someone on your campus who can help you.

Good luck.