Moving from elementary to secondary...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

There are plenty of secondary jobs, when compared to elementary. I received my credential in February 2008 and have yet to snag a permanent elementary position.

I was told by the credential technician at my university that if I took this one curriculum class for grades 7-12, and took the CSET in my desired subject, I would qualify to teach that chosen subject in those grade levels.

But, I'm not sure if I want to teach secondary. I know for sure I don't want to do high school, and don't think I'd mind junior high, but I'm just not 100% sure. I can't "test the waters" subbing because I have a full-time job that I have to keep. Although taking the class I would need is no problem, because it's offered online and at night on campus.

What do you guys think? I won't want to wait years to get an elementary position, it's already been almost 2 years...I just don't know..:unsure:

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 12, 2009

What subject are you interested in teaching? If it's math or science, it might be worth it, as these still seem to be high need areas...or that's what I've heard for awhile, unless that's changed? I personally hated subbing middle school, the high school students were much easier to work with. If you have other friends who teach secondary, talk to them and see what they think. Either way, it doesn't sound like too much extra schooling at all, it can't hurt. I know what you mean about not finding work in elementary, it's why I'm getting an out of state credential now. California is a real mess these days. Best of luck to you!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I would take the classes- it can't hurt! If you get your credentials and teach high school or jr. high for a year and hate it, you may be able to get transferred down to a lower grade. Either way you look at it, the job market isn't good right now- for elementary or secondary.
    I got my degree in 2004 and didn't get a contracted position until 2007- and I subbed all three years in between just to get my foot in the door. Good luck!!

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 12, 2009

What's the highest elementary grade you've taught? I love middle school/jr high. I originally wanted to teach high school, but single subject was really difficult to get into at my university. So, I did a middle level program which gave me a multiple & single subject in social science. I ended up really liking middle schoolers.

Oh, and I really suggest that you do not try to get a single subject in social science. It's really, really, really hard to find a job. About the same as elementary. I graduated in 2006 and have yet to teach SS full time. Last year was closest with half social studies/half language arts. Now, I have no job.

Definately look into math or science. Actually, math is much easier to get into. Some middle schools are cutting social studies and science in half to give kids more time in math and/or language arts. It's sad.

Good luck!!!

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

I took the class, passed the science CSET, and am not any closer to a full-time job. I also have supplemental auths in English and social studies along with my ms credential. Although I have subbed in middle school, I have done long terms in elementary. I think districts look at my resume and see a real lack of experience in secondary and do not want to take a chance.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2009

Here, it is much more difficult to get a job in the secondary schools than in elementary (not that that is easy!). I was originally certified JK-grade 6, but last summer added on qualifications for grades 7-10. I don't really have any intention of moving to secondary, but if I need to be moved from where I am, I want there to be options other than early primary. (15 years ago, I would have called you crazy if you told me that I'd end up teaching grade 7/8s and loving it!) I don't think it's ever a bad thing to add additional qualifications; it helps to broaden and increase your understanding of the entire education continuum, as well as making you more marketable.

One word of warning, however, remember that an employer (once you are hired) can ask you to teach anything within your certification, so you need to be willing to do that.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 13, 2009

Thanks. You guys have given me a lot to think about. I know the demand for math and science but...I really disliked math in school although I would never admit that to students, but I know I can't have enthusiasm for that to be happy in that job or to pass on excitement to my students. Science...maybe. History would be my top choice, I love history. But in order to meet demands, I may be willing to teach science or language arts even. But you guys are right, it won't hurt to get another qualification...it could always come in handy in the future.

9. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 13, 2009

Wow. I live in Northern California and what few jobs do show up on EdJoin are for elementary school jobs, not secondary. For a spell, there were at least three fifth grade job positions open in one district. Secondary jobs openings in the areas of LA, history and social studies have been non-existent for the last 6 months.
    But as others have pointed out, it certainly can't hurt!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2009

MissWull~that's what I did. I added on an ELA/History cert in grades 4-8. I work in a middle school now, and I absolutely LOVE it!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

STG - Oh wow, ya I would love to do history. Now that I'm thinking about it though, the class at my university would be almost $1500, and I can't put it onto my loan because I won't be attending class 1/2 time. So I would have to pay for the class out of pocket, along with the CSET test...that's putting it up there. Especially since we're going to be moving out in February and saving for that, ugh. Not sure what I should do now! :eek:/