Moving from a 1.7 reading level to a 4.0-what would you start with?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ~Nicole, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

Our tutoring groups start tomorrow. I have two girls with a 1.7 and 1.8 reading level that need to be at a 4.0. What would you start with?

Also-if my third student turns in the form I'll have one at the primer level also-any thoughts on what to do?

We have to tutor them all in a group (although I think the primer student needs more 1 on 1).

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 10, 2007

Wow! Leveled readers are a great resource to use. ReadingA-Z has readers at all levels, even Primer. Try looking into getting funding for the membership. Also, before these kids really practice thereading get an idea of the bank of sight words they know. By increasing their sight word vocabulary you are giving them an extra boost. Phonics is also going to be at the core of their reading instruction they need. I agree that the child on the primer level needs more one on one instruction.

One question. How many students will be in your whole group?

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

You may definitely need to tutor them after school, for starters.

5. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

It's AM tutoring-once a week. So far I only have the three students in my group (if my primer turns in the permission form.) I'd like to be able to invite two more that are in the bubble but 5th grade has over 25 needing tutoring so I may have to pick up some 5th graders.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2007

Wow! Once a week doesn't seem like a lot of time! Don't make the group any bigger. I think two or three kids is a big enough group to need to boost that much in so little time. I would do three things. 1) Work on sight words, 2) Make phonics the biggest part of the program 3) work on syllables A LOT. This will help in decoding larger words as they come across them.

7. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

It's a district initative (we don't even get to pick the day-district wide tutoring is on Tuesdays). I'm lucky our building is paying for a former sped teacher to help grades 3-5. All my tutoring kids and then some are going to her each week also.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

This is nice to know, since I'll be tutoring a few at a time in reading/writing, too. :)