Moving from 5th to 2nd

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teacher Chele, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Apr 24, 2010

My principal is talking about putting me in 2nd next year. I've been teaching 4th and 5th for the last five years and taught younger grades for ten years before that, but I've never taught 2nd. I'm excited, but I want to get started now planning and making/getting things for next year. I feel like a new teacher just starting out. Please share your ideas for centers, routines, record keeping, communication with parents, and anything else I need to be thinking about. Thanks y'all!!!

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 2, 2010

I moved from 5th to 2nd a few years ago and was pretty nervous about it, but I love it! Instead of doing centers, I highly recommend using the Daily 5 by the Two Sisters. It will make your life easier, and the kids really love it. Be prepared to work with them a lot on building stamina to work independently the first few weeks. You'll also need some kind of book bins or book bags for their independent reading books. An electric pencil sharpener is a good idea too, because they have a hard time using the ones on the wall.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 2, 2010

Great ideas - Thanks, Mrs. 100!!!! I borrowed The Daily Five from a friend and plan to start reading it this week.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 3, 2010

They also have a book called CAFE that goes along with it really well. Here's their website:
    http://www.the2sisters.com/
    Hope you like it!

6. Irma

Irma Companion

May 28, 2010

I've found in my school second grade his a very transitional year. We move them from being dependent to very indepedent learners- it's an exciting time. By the end of the year I feel so proud of my students I have a hard time letting go! I keep the teaching active and fun.

7. Forever Learnin

Forever Learnin New Member

May 30, 2010

Second grade is wonderful. I have taught 4th and 6th also. Daily 5 is a real motivation for becoming independent learners.

This is my first real attempt at Accelerated Reader. I need to create a reading log or would anyone suggest that I use the one in the material? Appreciatively, Forever Learning

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 30, 2010

I love AR and Star. Unfortunately, our county is doing away with it. You could do so many minutes per night, so many books per grading period, etc.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

I got a new teammate this year from 5th grade to 2nd! I think that the thing she has the hardest time with is that they are not as independent as 5th graders. Everything she plans takes much longer than she expects!

In regards to room setup, make sure you have a common carpet area... I don't see this in many classrooms past 2nd grade! But it's so important for them to have different spaces to work. I have my reading table, a writing table, my library carpet area, my front carpet area, and their desks. They have many places to work and move around. I also like having clipboards, because then they can sit anywhere in the room (and sometimes when the AC breaks, we can just go outside more easily).

This next one is a personal preference, but I do all communal supplies. My school is very high poverty, and I don't like the kids to feel like someone has something that they don't (because this leads to the problem of stealing). So at every table, I have enough crayons, erasers, pencils, scissors, glue, etc for everyone in a supply tub.

I love the comment about the pencil sharpener! Everyone on my team has gone to the electric pencil sharpeners... but after the kids went through 3 of those in one year, we decided to stop letting them use them. We have cans with NEW and USED pencils, so we do all the sharpening ourselves. It takes a few minutes a day to do, but it saves us from having to buy new sharpeners all the time!

Forever learnin, for AR, I made up my own log for after they take an AR test... the one my school passes out is way too hard for second grade. Mine just has date, title, author, AR color, and percent. But I admit that we don't follow AR the way it's probably supposed to be done (I don't even know what way that is)... we basically just use it for checking out books at the library and taking AR tests.

Sorry, I could go on and on forever with everything I wish I had thought out before I started!

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

I'm so jealous! I loved 5th grade more than I ever thought I would but I decided I reaalllyy wanted to move down. Since there were no opening in my school I put in for a transfer...hope I get it!! Good luck!! (and I hope I get to find this thread later if I get the position ;))

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

UVAgrl - These are great ideas!!!! Thanks!!!! If you think of anything else I'd love to hear it!!! Feel free to PM me or just put them here - I'm sure others would love to hear your ideas, too.