Moving from 2nd to 3rd next year

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by louisiana, Feb 22, 2010.

1. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

What am I to expect? Is a big difference other than testing. Is it more paperwork. I'm really scared but excited.

3. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Apr 10, 2010

I'm moving from 4th to 3rd next year. I can't wait. A few years ago I went from 2nd to 4th. I think 3rd will be a great fit for me. You will love the independence and still love the naiveness. I love teaching younger children and 4th was feeling too old for me. You can still do cute things, but begin novel studies and have deeper level conversations with the kids. Congratulations!!

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 5, 2010

I moved from 2nd to 3rd this year and moved to another building too. I had 13 of the same children from last year. I was a smooth transition for me since I knew a lot of the children already.

3rd grade is a primary grade and I did a lot of the activities that I did in 2nd grade but with some changes. I did a lot of centers and projects this year. I continued to do a lot of cooperative group projects.

Some of the teachers drive to do more academic work at their desks in 3rd grade. Children are still developing their skills and benefit from a lot of hands-on activities.

We did novel ties this year. The children loved it! They enjoyed being able to read novels (Freckle Juice and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

I really did not do a lot more paperwork than I did in 2nd grade. Like I said, I did more projects in all academic areas.

The children loved watching the Life Cycle of a Butterfly. Some of them said they did it in K but still love to watch them now. We just let our butterflies go yesterday...

I would not want to go beyond 3rd grade. I have taught 1st-6th grade. I love the primary grades the best!

Good luck!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

I've taught K through 3rd and really like it. I love the younger grades too, but 3rd is wonderful.

In my experience, the crop of girls you get will dictate the tone for the year. If the girls have a lot of older siblings then they can get catty. If the girls are laid back then the year is amazing.

They can be so independent and class discussion can be really meaningful. You also get to go deeper with content. But, they are still kids and you can also do cute, fun things.

I think you'll love it.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

Louisiana~I am moving from 1st to 2nd and I know how you feel, scared but excited.

7. slw17

slw17 New Member

Jun 16, 2010

I am also moving from 2nd to 3rd grade this year and I am very excited. When I first started teaching (6 years ago) I taught a 2/3 split classroom and I loved it. Then I transferred to a different school in the district and taught 5th grade then moved down to 2nd. I have to say that 3rd grade is my favorite and couldn't be happier about the grade change.

There really isn't that big of a difference between 2nd and 3rd grade. Third graders are a bit more mature and as a PP mentioned, typically ready for a deeper level of thinking. They are so much fun!

I believe you are going to love the change. Best wishes for a fabulous new year!