Moving forward on a house...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jul 6, 2009.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 7, 2009

Jem good luck on the house. It sounds like it is just what you and DH have been looking for. Will this be your first home so you can get the 8,000 back from the gov.?

2. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Have to agree with everyone else, what a terrific find! Very charming and quaint. Go low with your opening bid - that's the nature of the game - they price the houses knowing they will have to come down some. Especially if similar houses in the area are around that price. I would think in this market people would be glad to get a nibble. I know it's not a fun process - the finding a house and the contract negotiations part - but it will all be worth it when you have your place you can decorate how you an hubby want it - make it your own! Good for you!

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 7, 2009

I just love it! Very cozy and full of natural light.I know you are so excited. Good luck!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, all! We're going to try to schedule another walk-through today, and get an offer in.

Yep, it's our first, so we're gunning for that write-off.

As for affording it, people out here just put tons of their take-home into their house. In Michigan, people had cottages and boats and second cars-we won't have any of that. But it's ok, because we're just a few minutes from the beach and hiking and my in-laws in Monterey, so there are lots of free entertainment choices for us. Between living expenses and retirement saving, I very rarely get to buy anything new (I dream about clothes, but never buy them, and our furniture is still from before we were married). I wouldn't say I make that much more than a midwest teacher. I made 38k w/o benefits last year. Dh brings in quite a bit more, but I think he'd be making about the same in the midwest-it's just his industry.

Oh, and with Sprout, we can write 25% of all home expenses off, which is HUGE!!!

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

really really nice!! good luck katie!!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I'm looking at the pictures again...

It's so crisp and clean. It's the type of house that motivates me to clean!

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Me too. I love the green color they have used throughout the house. *Sigh* I can't have green. DH has an aversion to it because at one point EVERYTHING in our house was green and because of the way things were painted (latex over oil) you still see bits of green everywhere you look.

Best wishes. I hope it works out for you.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Oooooh-I'm getting excited!! We have an appointment to do another walk-through tonight, just to make SURE this is what we want to do. I was so taken by it the first time that I didn't really THINK when I walked through, you know? I need to go see where the outlets are, how many closets there are, where we would put all our dishes, etc. Really, really think as I walk through. Then, if we still love it, we'll put our offer in tomorrow. We're still undecided on the amount-I'm hoping the realtor tonight can help with that. It's such a game, and I'm trying to anticipate where the seller might be coming from, too. This is all I do with Sprout-negotiating, negotiating, negotiating, so I'm not AFRAID. I'm just trying to be smart.

And yes, it's so clean and crisp. It makes me want to eat off paper plates and get rid of all clutter. I told dh I want to get rid of 50% of our stuff before we move-this house will motivate me to really do that!!

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

It's adorable! I love how fresh and open it is! Good luck with everything-- can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I love it! It's so *you* Jem!!

Let us know how the 2nd walk-through goes!

11. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Good luck Jem! It's so exciting, but be sure to really look at everything like you said. That dream house I posted about a couple of weeks ago turned into the nightmare house when we went for another walk through. I'm sure yours is wonderful, but be careful not to wear the rose-colored glasses while really looking close! :)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2009

We're in the same place here! I just got a copy of the remedy offer and have been told by our agent that it's a good one, especially with the insurance we've been given through the seller. Eeek!

13. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Jem, how did the house look the 2nd time around?

14. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Jem, this house looks FAB!
    I miss , CALI, but do not miss those housing prices.
    Best of luck to you!