Moving down....

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissScrimmage, May 12, 2011.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 12, 2011

I am moving from 6th to 1st next year :haha:! So, some questions for all you first grade teachers:

1. What are some of the supplies in your classroom that you can't live without?

2. Do any of you do Daily 5? Do you recommend it?

3. Any other "tips" and "tricks".

I am really excited about the change. While I have enjoyed grade 6, in my heart I really want to teach the little ones. It's where all my student teaching experience was and this is really my ideal position.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

WOW! You must be the Bizarro version of my friend because she is moving UP from 1st grade to 6th.

Anyhow, here's my response. I hope it helps.

1. What are some of the supplies in your classroom that you can't live without?
    PENCILS, PENCILS and MORE PENCILS! Honestly you can neve have enough. Also:
    a) extra crayons for when the students break
    b) erasers and eraser tops (first graders wear down their eraser before the pencil)
    c) plastic, two pocket folders(the papers ones tear up w/in a month)
    d) my visual timer
    d) A binder containing emergency contact information because you never know when you will have to call a little one's parents due to illness or behavior and fumbling around for it is a pain when you have a crying six year old
    e) Magnents
    f) STICKERS! the kids love them, especially smelly ones

2. Do any of you do Daily 5? Do you recommend it?
    I am not familiar with the daily five. in my teaching career, we have had several mandatory curriculums and programs for reading and writing, so I haven't explored much else on my own

3. Any other "tips" and "tricks".

- they're cute and snuggly, but treat them like BIG KIDS, not babies. stress to them they have to be big kids in your class room

- when you're teaching something tricky and really need them to focus, if you have the space, have the students sit on the carpet, rather than at their desks. first graders are notorious for playing with glue and scissors b/c most kindergarten rooms had big tables that you couldn't put stuff in, so it's a novelty most of the year.

- give the behavior problems jobs as well as the well behaved kids. 1st graders LOVE to do jobs, even silly stuff like passing out glue or taking a note to another teacher. the students with behavior issues hate to lose their job, so a lot of times they'll fall in line

- have hand signals for different things. ie: when they need to go to the bathroom, my kids cross their fingers. it will drive you MAD to be in the middle of a lesson and a kid is waving their hand frantically and you think they're going to answer or ask a questions and they just want to go to the bathroom. i also do the peace sign when i want everyone to be quiet and the kids also do it with a finger on their lip.

- encourage them to turn and talk before they raise their hand to answer a question. a lot of times, it gives them more confidence when they can talk to a buddy one on one first about their thoughts, rather than the entire class is silent and staring at them along with the teacher

- encourage students to clap for one another whenever someone comes up to the baord to do a problem. even if they get it wrong, we still clap and say "good try"

4. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

grade move...

Catz said it very well. I don't think that anything needs to be repeated, just co-signed. I taught first grade for 4 years, and you will need plenty of pencils and Kleenex. :lol:

The daily five is effective with first grade. I didn't adopt the full plan, because of our strict curriculum guides, but I adopted the C.A.F.E. system and it worked because students were not only grouped according to ability, but interest, and reading needs.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2011

Get used to this:

MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage MissScrimmage! MissScrimmage

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

:lol:

And...Miss Scrimmage he looked at me!

Miss Scrimmage she's following me!

Miss Scrimmage, he's copying me!

Miss Scrimmage, she busted in line!

Miss Scrimmage, yesterday when you said to be quiet during reading, Mary started laughing under her breath!

Random, Funny First Grade Fact
    Everyone wants to either be at the front of the line (so they can be line leader) or at the very end(caboose: gets to turn off the lights and close the door) So, make sure you assign a person to do the job. I also let my line leader and caboose alternate who gets to go down the line before we leave for lunch to give everyone a squirt of hand sanitizer.

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 11, 2011

Don't keep the scissors, glue, or markers in their desks. Have community buckets for this stuff that is only used when needed. They should only have crayons and a pencil in their desk.
    I use pencil top erasers. They could never find the big pink ones that I used to use, or they were on the floor, or they were digging into them with their pencils, or someone would have 3 erasers,and the rest of the table wouldn't have any.
    I also don't let them sharpen their own pencils. I sharpen a bucket full in the morning, and they trade their pencil in when it breaks.

Tattle tickets work beautifully for this group. We made a T chart with what defined a tattle, and what they should tell me about(bullying, illness, unsafe behavior). Within 4 weeks, tattling was extinguished in my room.

I did the Daily 5 with my students this year and it worked beautifully. They could take about 3 out of 5 things a day, but we got to everything at least twice a week. I used my basal for the whole group lessons.
    You can p.m. with specific questions, and I'd be happy to help you.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks for all the tips! I am really looking forward to the move. I've been scouting out this year's Kindergarteners, and they are so tiny compared to my 6th graders!

I will definitely be confiscating some of their supplies on the first day!

jteachette - can you explain your "Tattle Tickets"??

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2011

• I also confiscate ALL supplies on the first day. I am in an extremely low-income school at which only some of the students even bring supplies, so I supply much of what they need out of my own pocket. For that reason, all supplies are community supplies.
    • I also sharpen all pencils (actually before I leave each day).
    • Definitely assign jobs - and rotate them weekly (I do alpha by last name).
    • I assign each student a number, and every paper (including the ones in their journals) MUST have a heading including their name, number, and the date of the effort. (The numbers allow me to know who's paper it is even if their handwriting is awful!)
    • Use the binder for more than Emergency contact info.. I also use mailing labels to write anecdotal notes and to jot parental contact info (called on such & such a day re: such & such a topic, etc.). Then I put them on a looseleaf page on which I write the date of the item next to the label. Make sense??
    • Not just stickers, but also stamps! Stamp their hands - they love it!!
    • They will give you Fort Knox for a tic-tac, too!
    • My kiddos raise one finger to go to the restroom (in our classroom). That way, lessons are not disturbed.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

Welcome to first grade! So much fun and it's amazing how much the children grow throughout the year!!!! My favorite grade!

So exciting! They are very young when they come in and it takes a lot of modeling and practicing of routines and procedures in the beginning of the year. They are not as independent in the beginning of the year but with a lot of guidance and practice, they get it! You will LOVE it!!!!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

Our incoming fifth graders seem so little compared to our leaving sixth graders. So I bet those first graders will seem tiny! But you'll get used to it quickly.

The big change will be the not being as independent and being able to read directions on the board right away.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

1st graders really are so much fun. I love this grade. In answer to your question, I use a modified version of the Daily 5, and I highly recommend it. I feel that since using it, my students have really, truly blossomed into wonderful readers, and while not all of them enjoy writing, they have become quite wonderful writers as well. I do suggest that you at least try it for the year.

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

For most, you won't be able to teach the lesson and assign a worksheet so that you can work with a small group. Many aren't readers yet, so you'll have to read the worksheet to them. (which is why I find other ways to reinforce the taught skill)

When I do, I assign "experts" so that if kids have questions, they can first go to the experts for help. The experts love it because they feel empowered. I love it when the struggling kids feel confident enough to volunteer to be experts.