Moving down one grade level

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bunnie, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 7, 2015

So I found out I'm moving grade levels. What's the biggest difference teachers have experienced moving down one grade level? I'm going from 5th to 4th.

I've taught various different grade levels but never dropped one level down across years. Any advice/help is appreciated. :)

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2015

I never did this in a back-to-back year, but I did move from teaching third to second with a stint in sped in between. I think the best part of moving down was knowing what they needed to know or be prepared for before going up to the next grade. Otherwise, the only difference was that they were physically smaller and slightly more needy.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2015

I think moving down is the best way to go. You know exactly what they need to be prepared.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2015

I have moved up and down, and sometimes it was several grade levels apart. I think going down is harder, but in my experience fourth and fifth graders are not a lot different, until about the last nine weeks of fifth grade when they are so ready to be at the middle school.

Good luck!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 7, 2015

They are going to feel like babies compared to end of year 5th graders. I used to teach 4th, and I always liked them much better after Christmas once they had matured some. Be prepared to be much more specific with how you want them to do things.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 7, 2015

This was my thinking. I spent most of my years in a 2nd/3rd split so I've taught 2 grades simultaneously but never where I dropped down one level. And since my last year was higher than what I was used too I can definitely see where I need to get them to be. I also know most of the kids as their class was next door to mine so I'm excited for the change. :)

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 7, 2015

Yeah. End of the year 5th graders think they know everything :lol:
    But I loved their personalities at that age.

9. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 7, 2015

I'm moving down from 5th to 4th too!

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

Bunnie - How was your year?! I'm actually moving from Kindergarten to Third Grade!!!!! I'm cool with my future co-teacher so I'm excited! We're planning as we speak :D Plus I long-term subbed 3rd grade ICT before so it'll be a similar experience (except for the culture).

I say just roll with it. See what the curriculum is all about. As my principal said, it is very common for first year teachers to be moved.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 16, 2015

MissPapa!! My year was um, crazy!?! To say the least. But I survived despite many challenges beyond my control, like being an ICT solo with no coteacher most of the year :whistle:

How was your year??

I've spoken to my new co teacher as I'm 4th ICT. She's new to the school but not new to teaching which is a relief!! We aren't planning anything yet because we don't know what things will look like curriculum wise.

The change is growing on me, I think the sticker shock has worn off and I've come to terms with the change. I'm sure it'll all be fine :)