Moving down interview - upper elementary to primary

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, May 20, 2021.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

May 20, 2021

Hi all! After 5 years in upper elementary 3-4 I fully know what I want and that’s K-2 with a huge lean towards 1st.

I’d rank desire 1st, K, 2nd.

What kind of questions are starkly different for primary vs upper elementary. I feel like in testing grades they want to hear about how you assess and data, data, data and how you use it and small groups.

Though small groups is everything in primary especially guiding reading. I’m not totally confused on primary I just know they tend to hire the bubbles, super young 21-24 year olds new grads for K-2 and I’m in my mid 30s and I’m pretty bubbly.

My class room management is top notch with flexibility but respectability which I always see mini train wrecks, chairs tilted levitating, practically standing on tables on K-1 management wise but again...new teachers then they’re to sit still and test in upper and haven’t done that In 3 years.

Questions I know of: what does a typical day look like? (I means....I walk down the wings and see, literally see children falling out of their chairs, or running the halls with the teacher at the way head of the line)

Yet....those teachers stay in kinder and 1st and 2nd forever soooo talk about vs little structure?

Really what makes them select X or Z for primary? Other than age and lack of experience? I’ve had a P say X does less damage in kinder....until I get them at 4th and sight words are phonetically spelled like whoa so damage is being done

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 20, 2021

Right now, the biggest need in K-2 is knowledge of the science of reading. Kids are getting to 4th not spelling HF words because they don’t know how to decode/encode or map words orthographically. They need systematic, explicit phonics instruction, lessons that build a high level of content and background knowledge through reading and writing, and opportunities to practice fluency and comprehension.

Classroom management is even more important in lower grades because you’re teaching them how to do school, but I think new teachers start there a lot because the kids need solid structure but are also more... bounce-back-able (it’s early, I’m blanking on the word I want...)
    Like, a new teacher with no management skills in 5th is gonna have a really hard time building trust with kids. A new teacher with no management in K is still going to have kids who love them, even if the room’s chaotic sometimes. Obviously that’s not universal, but just my observation.

Otherwise: K-2 is foundational skills across the board. They need phonics, inquiry math to develop number sense and flexibility, lots of time to talk, lots of time to move, and really systematic instruction to develop skills (even things like handwriting and sitting in chairs).