Moving companies?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 2, 2009.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I am moving about 10 miles from my current house BUT I currently live on the second floor of the apartment and I can't exactly carry couches down the steps on my own.

Does anyone know how much they paid hourly for moving services lately? I just want to make sure the estimates I am getting are good.

3. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 2, 2009

I used to be a moving company salesperson! The rates will depend on the market you are in, depending upon the cost of living and how big the team they are sending is. Our rate for a 2 man team was approx. $75 per hour with a one time $75 trip charge (pays for gasoline) and the 3 man team was approx. $105 per hour with a one time $105 trip charge (same as above). I worked there about 2 yrs ago, so rates change. We bumped people to a 3 man team when the sq. footage was 1500 or more, or depending on what the dispatch looked like that day (lots of jobs, needing to move quickly, etc.).

I hope this is helpful for you! :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

You might be able to find a "Starving College Students" type group for cheaper.

Don't you have anyone that owes you a HUGE favor? lol. My friend just called me to tell me he got an interview at my former school, because I made some phone calls for him. He gushed about how grateful he was and how he would do ANYTHING I needed. I just said "You realize I am moving this summer - that's an awfully courageous offer." lol.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I was going to suggest finding high school or college students. When we moved, my son's friends were great! OK, a couple of scraped walls but nothing got broken. They did it for pizza and pool privileges but if you offered $ on the grocery store bulletin boards, I bet the bag boys would all sign up.