Moving Clips Up on Behavior Chart

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Falcon Flyer, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Sep 22, 2012

This year I decided to do the behavior chart where kids start on "Ready to Learn" and can move up to "Great Job" and "Outstanding" or down to other consequences. I've always had the kind where moving down was the only option, and I'm having trouble remembering or knowing when it's appropriate to move a child up. It's now been 4 weeks and I have moved exactly one child's clip up. It's not that I don't have good kids, it's just that it's not something I'm used to and I don't think about it until the end of the day when I'm putting all the clips that were moved down back. Any advice on how to make myself provide some positive reinforcement instead of just the negative?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

Instead of moving clips up, we have blue cards (we have card instead of clips but its the same thing.) We give out 4 each day. We try to give out 2 before lunch and 2 in the afternoon. Having a set time to give them out helps my co-teacher and I remember. When we give them out we try to be specific, "Tommy this is because you did such a great job in math." "Allie this is because you did all of your work without talking today." Also, only giving out 4 per day makes it easier for us and makes them very special for the kids. We usually let the kids with the blue cards read on our floor pillows during independent reading. But really just getting one of the coveted cards is prize enough for them- they get so excited.

So I would recommend setting a specific time of day to reward anything you remember seeing. So when they're lining up for lunch try to think of 1 or 2 positive things you saw that morning.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 22, 2012

I also have a similiar system. I try & stop at lunch time & think, is there anyone I can move up? I do it again before I do their daily behavior report.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

Any excuse you have to move a kid up is a good one.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

At random (and I mean random) times I look around the room and move up kids name (always announce and make a big deal of it.

Say "I'm looking at a kids name..... And now I'm looking at the kid!" and if that kid is on task or focused, move their name up.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 22, 2012

When I did the color system, I did it randomly as well. You just have to make an effort to acknowledge the positive. I was always right quick to move a kid down, but never remembered to move anyone back up. I like the idea of having a set time to start off. Maybe after each subject?

8. christine89

christine89 Companion

Sep 22, 2012

Like others replying are saying, it doesn't need to take something huge to happen in order to be moving a child up. If at the beginning of a transition time, a few children are sitting quietly and ready for learning, I'd move them up or just simple things like that. Yes, it is an expected behavior but I still give positive reinforcement for it. Whether someone is following an expectation or going far beyond that, it stands as a reason to move them up.
    I have trouble remembering to move some up too so I try to do it right at the beginning of activities just as I'm walking up to the carpet to join everyone.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 22, 2012

I have, in addition to the ideas already given, moved a child's clip up when s/he was able to answer a question no one else could, or s/he got a particularly hard concept. The other day, one of my "more active" boys volunteered to clean up a mess that he had not created in my classroom bathroom. For that, I bumped him up, and I think he almost cried with joy.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

Just to get started with becoming comfortable with moving students up, I would look for students who are following directions at every transition. Whenever you see a few students following transitions, I would ask them to move up. As you get more comfortable, you can begin to become more random in finding students behaving.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

For most of my students, I move them up at lunch time and home time. For my students who have difficulty showing appropriate behaviors for 1/2 a day, I move their clip after they complete 2-3 activities/transitions (could be walking down the hall, completing their assignment, sitting appropriately during circle time...)

12. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Sep 22, 2012

Everytime I move a student down I look to move a student up. Right before lunch and at the end of the day I think back to anyone I havent spoken to at all who seemed to be on task all day and move them up as well.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 23, 2012

Anytime that I would say "I like the way Jessica is ready" type of thing is a good time to move up. The first person to quietly transition their belongings could be a good time.

You could put a small sticky note to remind you to choose someone when they put their Math away and take out Science. It will become second nature eventually.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2012

I like the idea to choose certain times until it becomes second nature. I've used mine for a couple years, but I'm having a harder time this year because they all do such a good job on transitions and other times when I've normally had kids clip up in the past. I want to keep it going for the positive reinforcement, so maybe that will help.