Moving child up early???

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by alex13, Sep 22, 2006.

1. alex13

alex13 New Member

Sep 22, 2006

I am a Montessori Teacher for the 3-6 yr olds. I have some issues. 1. I have a child that is very advanced in my class. He is 4.5 yrs old will turn 5 in Nov. but is already working on a 2nd grade phonics workbook, reads at that level. And he can do addition without the bank or golden beads. I have tried to teach him math this way but he is just not getting it. I am wondering if this child needs to be place up on int the 1-4th grade class. He is just playing around in my room and he lowers his emotional and maturity level to the kids in the classroom. Has any other teachers moved a child so young up early and it worked out?

2.This child I'm talking about is also my son. Because of this his behavior in my classroom is not acceptable. He tells me NO, kicks me, hits me. This behavior just started when I took over his classroom this year as the new teacher. So, I'm also thinking his behavior would be better if he moves up. There is no other 3-6 yr old classroom in our school.

3. I am also not too sure if the 1-4th grade teacher wants my son in her room. She just says that they tried it with a Kindergartener last year and it didn't work out. And she is avoiding me when I try to talk to her about my son. Any suggestions?

As a Mother I would have pulled my son out of school already but being a teacher at the school I feel like I should atleast try to accomodate my son there.

any advice is welcomed!

3. stacy

stacy New Member

Sep 22, 2006

It is not a good idea to move a child up early. I am dealing with the consequences of my son's early transition to the 6-9. It sounds like your child has not normalized yet. Give it time. This behavior could also indicate a few other possibilities: 1. Your child has emotional needs that are needs that are not being met in that environment. 2. It is difficult for your child to understand your role as parent and your role as educator in that environment. 3. Some children just don't do well in Montessori. That is difficult for me to say, but it is true. Some children misunderstand spontaneous activity to mean free time and never normalize. However, I'm willing to bet it is my number one reason. Most children dont' normalize if the environment is not meeting their needs. Look to your environment and see what could be done differently. I would also suggest more practical life. I do not reccomend an early transition to the 6-9. Good luck.

4. alex13

alex13 New Member

Sep 23, 2006

My son went to this school last year and was normalized under a different teacher. My assistant who was the assistant last year said they didn't have any problems with him except during transition times b/c he was so into his work. He chose work and worked hard last year. The only change is that the teacher last year moved to a different state and I took over the class. So, I don't think that it is the problem of him not being normalized. I believe i'm the problem. I talked the the teacher and he will be moved up next week. She also took him Friday for a little while and he was fine and did some good work. At this point he can not stay in my class if he does I will have to quit

5. stacy

stacy New Member

Sep 23, 2006

Well it sounds like you already make your choice. I'm glad to hear that. You know normalization happens every year, or any time there is a change in the environment. I too have a child in my class and know it can be difficult. I have noticed myself avoiding my child's needs because I don't want to be accused of giving him more than others. I'm still very convinced that children should not be moved early. My child was moved early into the lower elementary, and it has caused problems now (years later). I have retained him in the lower elementary this year and he feels that he should be moving because he did his time so to speak. I'v based my decision of retaining him on the fact that now he is able to keep up with his peer, but is will always be a keeping up. He'll always be just a little younger, physicaly and emotionaly. Thanks for letting me share my opinion and experience with you, and I do wish the best for you and your child. May peace be with each of us.