Moving (And Anniversary!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Unbeknownst, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

I haven't really been vocal about my life lately, but my wife and I will be packing up and moving two hours southwest of our current location July 10th.

Our leases couldn't have been more perfect. Our current apartment least ends July 15 (for a prorated amount) and our new rent house begins July 15 (prorated for the rest of the month). So, no money lost there :)

Anyway, the move couldn't be soon enough. My job irrates me daily (I'll spare you the details, no worries), and I can't wait to start fresh in a new town.

My only secret worry is my wife. We're moving to a small town (population ~2,000 people). I grew up in a town smaller than this, actually, but my wife was born in raised in San Antonio.

Needless to say, she's going to have a lot to get used to. I worry that she will be bored and hate the "small town life" (AKA -- everyone knows where you ate last night).

I want the best for her, so I hope this is the right decision. I'd pick up and move across the United States if it would make her happy, so I hope this works out for her.

Anyway, just a lot of thoughts I've been holding in that I haven't mentioned on the forum.

Take care everyone.

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

Oh, and our two-year anniversary is the 19th :)

I'm going to purchase her a local quilting class as a present (something she's mentioned she wants), but any other ideas you may have for a two-year anniversary would be much appreciated :)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

I grew up in the San Francisco area, now I live in the boonies and I LOVE IT! Just make an effort to get her to the city from time to time, maybe a weekend with you or a girlfriend. Small town life has a lot of positives.

Our community pulls together like nothing else whenever there is a tragedy or someone is sick.

Also, try to get involved in whatever the community offers for fun. It might not be like city living, but whatever the event, just go for something to do.

Good luck! My friends who do not like living here keep their sanity by taking a trip or two out of town each year.

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

Thanks Bonne, those are really great suggestions.

Fortunately, our new town is a lot busier than most small towns. I think I make an effort to go to everything they offer this year just to check things out.

Also, I plan on bringing my wife to all the student events with me. Hopefully she'll enjoy watching sports and UIL as much as me.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

Take her out for your anniversary and show her there are some fun things to do and good places to eat. Maybe even make her a gift card for one dinner out a week for a month, so you can get to know some new places.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

I think I can understand how your wife might feel. I was born and raised in Miami, and in Feb, I moved to North Dakota. While I live in one of the larger "cities", in the state, to me, this place barely qualifies as a town, let alone a city. To say it has been an adjustment is an understatement. Bonneb has it right. Go do stuff...anything. Eventually the "small town" life starts to grow on you...

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

Sounds like you are making a great move. You didn't mention that she's upset or has said anything, so I'll bet your worries about her adjustment are all yours. She's probably happy to be going anywhere you are going! :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

From what I know about your wife, she wants you to be happy.

And we all know you're thrilled with this job!!

I forget-- what sort of work does she do? What are her interests and hobbies?

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

Unbeknowest, get her involved in whatever this small community has to offer... church or the school's booster club. Does she work? If not, I'm sure there's plenty of things she can volunteer for. If she'd enjoy a quilting class, she'll meet plenty of people there. Entertain at your home, the best place to eat generally is at my house.

Good luck to you both!

11. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Right now my wife is on the path of discovering her vocation, something that she will love to do.

We agreed to be poor this first year while she soul searches. She might pick up a part-time job, but a majority of her time will be spent on researching what's out there that will align with her gifts and talents.

In the meantime, I plan on going to every community event our town has. I think that's an excellent suggestion.

12. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 2, 2010

I think your wife might actually like it. I moved from St. Louis to town on 23,000. It doesn't seem that big of a difference but it is. Then I moved from there to 4,000. Big change but I love living here.

13. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

How far away from a big city will you be? Maybe do a once a month trip to the 'city' and hang out? That way you get the best of both worlds.. :)

Your wife is really lucky to have a sweet man like you, thinking of her needs and wants.

14. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

We're about 1 1/2 hours away from the big city. We're used to making 3+ hour trips, so this shouldn't be too bad.

By the way, my wife is twice as good to me -- I'm just trying to keep up :)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 2, 2010

I think the quilting class is a great idea. She could meet some new people and get some ideas about what to do. Check out the local library or town hall. There might be some free (or very cheap) workshops she can take. I've seen them advertised frequently at my library although I never really have time to take them.

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

First of all congrats on the move and the anniversary. Next thing is after living in my hometown ( or very near it ) for 39 years my husband and three of my kids packed up and moved 300 miles out to West Texas. Where we used to live wasn't too far from San Antonio were we could get anything or do anything all we had to do is just drive about 25 minutes. Now we live in an isolated West Texas town. (we do have a walmart but it's not a super store). We just celebrated our first year here yesterday. I have to say this has been the best decision in my life. Not only do I have job, bit my family is thriving. We have friends. We participate in several community things. My new community has welcomed us with open arms. Go to everything, if you can volunteer for stuff.
    Most of all enjoy a slowe paced life. That's what I love about our new hometown. Everything that I need is rigth here. ( well for the most part). I do go into the "big city " about once a month. I have 2 mile commute round trip to work. All in all my life is good in smal town. Good luck with your new job and fitting into your new community.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

I made the opposite move with my husband. I grew up in small towns (Indiana and Michigan)-my graduation class was only 58! After our first year of marriage, we moved to the heart of San Francisco. TOTAL culture shock! I was so happy to see dh happy, but it took a lot of adjusting. Understand that if she cries or is sad, it's not you at all. And she's probably not really upset that you moved-she's just adjusting. After a year in the heart of the city, we moved just north about 10 miles over the bridge, and I think it's the perfect place for us. We get the trees and nature, but can zip into the city (I do each for work). So sometimes you have to adjust a little after the move to find the delicate balance. But now I'm happy as a lark, and very glad we made the move.

And we celebrated our anniversary eating our wedding cake on an empty floor-something about moving over anniversaries! ;) Good luck-I love small towns and hope you guys do, too!!

18. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Well, I graduated in a class of 22 people.

My wife graduated in a class of 700 people.

Maybe I should move this to the prayer forum ...

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Nope, don't sweat it.

From all you've said, you wife is a smart woman. She's very positive. She has a sense of humor.

She'll do great. She's smart enough to carve out a life that suits her wherever she is. She won't sit home all day, waiting for you to arrive so her life can start. She won't cry or be sad. She'll find interests and friends and projects and hobbies. And when you get home, you'll both be able to talk about what you did all day.

You'll both be fine!

20. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks Alice :)

And you're right, she's super prepared to move. She's been more on board than me.

I just really want this to be a good place for her, because small town or not, I'm a teacher, and I'm ALWAYS goign to be super busy.

I'm wanting her to find a niche that she loves too.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Unbeknownst- you are a kind and compassionate partner. Your wife is a lucky woman to have you. I wish you Godspeed and much happiness on your move!