Moving a child back a grade????

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacherintexas, Sep 6, 2007.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2007

I have a kid that I am thinking about starting a campaign with the administration and parent to get him removed from second grade and placed back in first.

He can't spell his name without looking at his name tag, can't add two plus zero using a number line or counting on his fingers, doesn't pay attention, doesn't know the alphabet, and cannot count past twenty without making at least one mistake. And yes....I teach second grade. He's making a 30 something in math and reading right now and we have been doing super easy lessons.:eek:hmy:

I do not have an aide at any time during the day so giving him tons of one on one instruction is just about impossible. We do have small groups and he is having trouble keeping up with the lowest group- and I have lots and lots of low kids this year! Our special ed testing doesn't happen until after a full year of modifications.

I'm not a miracle worker! I don't see how I am going to have this kiddo reading on a third grade level and multiplying and dividing by the end of this school year.

Any ideas? :help:

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2007

What does his first grade teacher say? IF he's new, have you seen his records? Do you think it's a developmental issue or an i.q. thing. Is it just that he hasn't been taught or is it that he can't get it?
    Has he been tested for sped?
    Do you have a student support team? A team that you can discuss options for students.
    What ever you do, get the parents involved. Share your concerns with them. You don't want this to shock them.!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2007

Last year we had a student come in from another school into 2nd grade. He wasn't in my classroom, but from what his classroom teacher said it sounded like he might have had ADD/ADHD. He would sit back in the corner and make rocket noises during lessons, but he was also failing on easy review lessons. He was in 2nd grade for 2 or 3 weeks before they moved him into 1st grade again. I'm not at the school anymore so I'm not sure how he's doing this time around.

5. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

It is possible for students to be sent back...I had one come to my class from 5th grade last year. I don't feel it was the right choice for this student. He had ADHD and possibly some other issues. He had horrible memory issues, which made it hard for him to be successful with a lot of our curriculum. Plus, the move was a bit demoralizing for him. In the end, his report card and state tests scores were EXACTLY the same as in the previous year (his first time in 4th grade). It broke my heart because I really felt like I was helping him out and that he would make progress.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 7, 2007

What does his first grade teacher say?

His first grade teacher said he was low but not low enough to retain.(?????) He can't spell his name!!!

Do you think it's a developmental issue or an i.q. thing.
    Is it just that he hasn't been taught or is it that he can't get it?

I think it's developmental and IQ. I had the older sister. She had to be retained and did not qualify for special ed because her iq was too low.
    We spent four days practicing how to find the answers to addition math facts 0's and 1's with counters, number line, and even the dreaded counting on your fingers. He couldn't do it. I did a math fact page with him today. 7 + 7 = 7 after counting on a number line.

Has he been tested for sped?

No. Our testing process takes a full year of modifications in the classroom first. (Don't get me started on that! grrr...)

Do you have a student support team? A team that you can discuss options for students.
    No... I used to be on a team like that at another school, but we don't have such a thing at this school- we need one!

What ever you do, get the parents involved. Share your concerns with them. You don't want this to shock them.!

I've talked to the parent repeatedly this year. I haven't mentioned moving him back yet because I'm waiting to get our back to school testing done and enough grades to show a pattern and need to talk to the principal first. The parent says he can do the work perfectly at home, but he makes a 11 or 0 on the same things at school.

I'm pretty sure he has ADD/ADHD but has not been diagnosed by a doctor and we can't mention ADD to parents. He has all the signs. I have mentioned his attention problems every time I have talked to his mom. I started giving him a behavior mark every time he played with a pencil instead of listening after being reminded a few times so maybe the parent will get the idea of how big a problem it is.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2007

IMO putting him back a grade will only cause more problems for the child. Encourage his parents to have his eyes tested for development not just vision. Also testing outside of school. Since he cannot write his name, soemthing is going on. We have that rule of a year of modicfications first too...but it's had it's exceptions too. Good luck

8. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 8, 2007

I was going to do this a few years back. Both, parents wanted it and my admin. was okay with it. When it came time to do the paperwork dad had to deploy and then mom retracted her want. It turned out that dad thought it was best. Mom moved her schools and her other teacher had the same concerns.

This year I have a student that can write his name, BUT only if he looks at his nametag. He can't count past 4 and only knows 11 letters in the alphabet. He wasn't held back because he's on an IEP for math and reading. I'm sad to say that he's probably going to be behind forever! I will try to work a mircle this year.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

Am I reading this right? Her IQ was too low to qualify for Special Ed? What supports or placements are offered then?

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

Last year I had a student who came to me after 2 weeks in second grade. He hadn't attended our school the year before (had been home-schooled in 1st grade) and wasn't at all prepared for 2nd grade. His 2nd grade teacher discussed it with his mother and she agreed to move him back to 1st grade. He struggled in my class and I managed to get him special ed. services, but his Mother withdrew him before the end of the year. He is in a different school district this year.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

We had two girls last year in 2nd that were home-schooled. One of them was supposed to be in 2nd grade and at the beginning of the year she was low, but the teacher did an excellent job of getting on level. Her sister was supposed to be in 5th grade, but tested on a 2nd grade level and still needed additional support in the classroom. In most cases, I think homeschooling is good if you do it right, but in these girls case, I don't think mom really taught them anything.