Movies with a lasting effect

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Mar 29, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2010

What movies still get you emotional even though you have seen them a million times?

I was watching Karate Kid today and I still felt myself on the edge of the seat cheering at the end. It doesn't matter that I know exactly what is going to happen and can practically quote it now.

Steel Magnolias is the same way. I still get tears and then laugh hysterically at Shelby's funeral.

When I show To Kill a Mockingbird in school, I still get chills when they lose the trial and everyone in the balcony stands for Atticus when he walks out.

I also show the Great Debaters in school so I have seen it many times now, but there is one part in the middle where the girl, Samantha Booke, debates for the first time about integrating schools, and she says "The time for justice, the time for equality is always, ALWAYS RIGHT NOW." She is so hyped up when she says it, it always gives me a tear.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

Beaches, Steel Magnolias, Rudy, Remember the Titans, Titanic, My Girl, Jerry Maguire, A Walk to Remember, The Notebook & HOOSIERS!!!

I forgot... Back to the Future movies... I could watch them all day...especially 1 & 3...2 not so much!!!

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 29, 2010

Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, the Passion.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

I don't know if they give me tears each time I watch them, but several movies have really left impressions on me. A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump, Remember the Titans, Radio, Rain Man, Pay It Forward, and most sport movies that are inspiring, to name a few.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2010

My Life (Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman - about a husband/soon to be father with terminal cancer), The Story of Us (Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer - about a struggling marriage), and several of the others above.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

Fireproof

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

Brian's Song (anyone remember that one?)

You've Got Mail

Cinderella (I love those darn mice!!)

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

The Outsiders is a definite for me. I can just about quote the entire movie, but it was the first "big girl" book I read, and I fell in love with it. The movie is so true to the book, too.
    The other would be The Sound of Music. I grew up loving the classics like this one. It's my mom's favorite and I just love the story. I get chills every time I watch them hide in the church, then when they see Rolf. When the father sings "Edelweiss" and I get teary eyed every time.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

I also cry every time I watch You've Got Mail, czacza...and that is more often than I'd like to admit. Also:

*Ever After (every time)
    *Titanic (although I'm slightly obsessed with the story of Titanic and thus the movie, I've seen the movie only a few times...it's an emotional experience I can't handle)
    The War (when Costner gives the brat the icecream cone)

You know, I'm sure if I thought longer I'd think of more films, but I don't watch many films several times...so while I cried like my husband was murdered in front of my very eyes when watching Seven Pounds, that's not something I'll be up for again for a long while. It's so emotionally draining.

Let's just say I cry during the majority of movies. Seriously.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

I know what you mean! I'm glad I watched it, but I will really have to be in the right frame of mind to watch that movie again. It's like JohnQ loved the movie, may not ever watch it again, though.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 29, 2010

Remember the Titans
    Rudy
    Dead Poets Society
    It's A Wonderful Life

I don't generally cry at movies, but these make me choke up. Lately though, Hallmark commercials make me choke up. I think it's stress.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

Not that I'd like to watch it again, but The Changeling...ugh, so sad...I thought Angelina was really good.

Also A League of Their Own, especially when I played softball...love that movie!!!

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 29, 2010

Ooh, I was just going to say A League of Their Own! I always watch it (and hope that the Peaches might win-just once!) and then I always have to google AAGPBL.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

My fav part is when Tom Hanks throws the glove at the little boy & he falls over. There are so many, but I love when the little boy's mom doesn't hit the cut off & Tom Hanks is about to burst & she talks to him like he said every word clear.

The end just makes me get tears..

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2010

I get teared up at A League of Their Own, too.

Another is It Could Happen to You. I always watch that movie when I am in a bad mood because it just reminds me that there are good people in the world.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2010

Ah, yes...an amazing movie!!!!

I was a quivering mass of tears after watching Awakenings.. the bad parts were waaaayyy to close a parallel to the last years of my uncle's life, minus the "awakening" part. Likewise with One Flew over the Cukoo's Nest. I will never watch either of those movies again.

I cry at Hallmark commercials, so I can't even attempt a real list here.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 30, 2010

On the more serious side-but Lorenzo's Oil and Schindler's List (can still see that little girl in the red coat).

You know they have a remake of the Karate Kid coming out with Jackie Chan-usually I am really against them, but the trailer was very moving, so maybe I'll make and exception.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 30, 2010

Steele Magnolias
    Shawshank Redemption
    Dirty Dancing
    Of Mice and Men

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 30, 2010

Did you know that little girl in the red coat is there because of a little girl with just such a coat really lived through that? Many of her neighbors remember that coat and talked about it. I bought and read that women's memoirs. It seems we (I) always think of those people who survived the Holocaust (or anything else really) as only existing in that time and forget they lived lives after then. The book was interesting for that reason.

I agree about Awakenings, A League of Their Own ("THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! NO CRYING!!) and Of Mice and Men.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2010

For me, it's...

- Karate Kid
    - The Notebook
    - Crash
    - Something New
    - The Secret of My Success
    - The Pursuit of Happyness
    - Beaches

Speaking of the Karate Kid remake, also Will Smith's son will play the Karate Kid.