Movies, what do you like to show?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Feb 12, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2011

I know, there isn't much time these days, but when there is, do you have certain movies that you like to show? Do you let the kids pick? My students wanted to watch Beverly Hills Chuauas (sp?) but couldn't go with that one...how do you decide which ones you will sit through?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2011

I don't show movies unless they have curricular content...and even then for about 20 minutes max.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

When I taught elementary, my grade level used watching a movie as a Friday reward. Students who had good behavior and had completed all their work that week got to go into a room and watch a movie that related to something in our curriculum that week. We had five teachers in that level. Two of us would stay with the kids watching the movie, one would stay in the room with the "behavior" kids, where they would write explaining what they did and what they should have done instead. Eventually they could go watch the movie, but only after the snack (usually popcorn) had been eaten. One teacher would stay with the students who needed to finish work, and one teacher would have time to make copies, make phone calls, etc. We rotated every 15 minutes or so. It was so nice to have that time to tie up loose ends on Friday afternoon. It was always related to whatever we were learning about, and we always did some sort of wrap-up activity after the movie.

Now I teach film studies in high school, so we watch movies whenever we want, though not as much as students thought we would!

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2011

I have had a movie shown only every rare once in a while, usually if the school has one playing on a certain channel for us. Nothing that the kids or I have to pick then.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2011

We have had "Fun Friday" events as MissCelia described. They provide an in-school opportunity for those in need for remediation or just time to complete missing tasks. Copyright law is something to consider in these cirumstances, just FYI. :)

I have only one personal movie at school and that is Maltida.

Taking the rest of the grade level out of it, I don't personally show movies "for fun". There is one historical movie I show, but that's very much for class.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

I'm considering showing a movie in one of my French classes, with French audio and subtitles so the kids can pick up on some French.

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Feb 12, 2011

Educational movies that the kids may enjoy such as:

Arthur
    Scholastic Storybook Treasures
    Magic School Bus
    Between the Lions
    Leapfrog DVDs
    The Cat in the Hat from PBS kids

Berenstein bears DVDs
    WordGirl DVDs
    Curious George from PBS Kids DVDs
    Reading Rainbow DVDs
    Disney's Earth
    Super Why from PBS Kids
    Word World from PBS Kids
    Martha Speaks from PBS Kids
    Clifford from PBS Kids
    The Electric Company from PBS Kids
    Wilson and Ditch Digging America from PBS kids

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 12, 2011

I use them sparingly and they are mostly documentaries unless it really nails what I am saying in a lesson. I think movies are very useful, but with everything else required I'm just not able to use them.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2011

These are great ideas. Are these all films that you own or can you download them from somewhere?

I am all for showing documentaries, but not sure which ones...my grade level is fifth, if anyone has any suggestion on some appropriate ones for that grade level. The other question is where to get them? Do you buy them? Rent them from Netflix? Streaming website? Thanks.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2011

Once a year, I do a one week "movie study". We follow much the same structure as a novel study, watching a bit of the movie each day and looking at narrative structure, character development, prediction, inference, and media concepts (camera angles, use of music, etc). Movies that I've used for this include "Holes", "Alex Rider: Stormbreaker" and "Jumanji". I'll be showing a movie or two during our Holocaust unit and will show "Remember the Titans" at some point this year because of it's important messages about tolerance and acceptance. I rarely show more than 3 movies a year and all tie in with our English curriculum expectations.

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 13, 2011

We do not show videos/movies unless they are directly tied to the curriculum. Any video needs advance approval from the director.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

I forgot to mention this. In classes at my school (besides film studies) movies must relate to the curriculum and must be approved in advance. When we were learning about phonation and articulation, I got permission to show My Fair Lady to my speech students. Later this year, I'll show them The Great Debaters and probably also Resolved. Both do a better job of explaining debate culture and how it has changed than I ever would. (Plus, The Great Debaters was filmed here.) I also showed my speech class one of the sections of The Human Face when we were learning nonverbal communication. But all of those are approved by my assistant principal.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2011

I have shown two movies so far; Wizard of Oz the last day of school before Christmas and Friday, for Valentines, I showed Lady and the Tramp (Disney classics). We can show movies now and then at our school and don't need prior approval. I am looking for a list of classic, quality and literature related movies that might interest my students. They want to watch pop culture movies and I have explained to them that they can watch these at home. I want to show them movies that they wouldn't select for themselves but should see. Thanks.

15. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Feb 13, 2011

This is the same requirement for our district...I do show Brain Pop videos, which are only about 3-4 minutes long. They have videos for about everything we have to teach and the kids love them.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

We will sometimes show movies to our students as their "reward" at the end of the grading period. During my student teaching last year, we actually set up 5 of our 6 rooms with different movies in each (our version of a multi-screen cinema). The kids were allowed to decide which of the 5 movies they wanted to watch. The 6th room was reserved for the kids who had not earned the reward due to behavior/discipline checks.

All of the movies had to be rated no higher than PG. I personally brought "Aliens in the Attic" (which was popular at the time) for my CT. In my room, we watched "Inkheart".

Just a couple of weeks ago, we took our middle school kids to a local theater to watch a movie as the "reward trip". I accepted the responsibility for organizing the trip and got my first taste of what that was like. I'm personal friends with the owner of the two closest cinemas. He told me which movies he had available, but none were really appropriate. I contacted another cinema a little farther away. His list of available movies was very similar, but he also told me he coulds show ANY movie that was out on DVD - as long as he had enough time to rent a copy.

The movies that were available in the two theaters were:

True Grit (which, ironically, had the LEAST offensive material)
    The Dilemma (there was NO dilemma in deciding against this movie)
    Season of the Witch (some of the parents may have objected to the content)
    Green Hornet (I was depressed to see just HOW much offensive language and crude humor this movie contained).
    The Kings Speech (this would have been a good choice IF it didn't include the short segment of him practicing profanity)
    Unstoppable (this one might have been ok, but we decided to pass).

After looking over all the movies currently playing and the recent DVD releases, we decided on Secretariat. This was an EXCELLENT choice because it was a good movie, but one most of the kids would not have gone to on their own.

As a side bonus, my oldest son also got to see the movie the day before our school, because HIS class earned a reward trip too and the cinema was located in his school district. I thought it was pretty cool that he and his friends got to watch the movie his dad had chosen for another school.

As for other movies, our LA teachers will sometimes show movies based on the novels they are currently reading/studying.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2011

We have available in our district Safari Montage which allows us to show clips of educational movies, documentaries, etc that are relevant to the curriculum. 20 minutes is about max for us.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 15, 2011

I only show movies that relate to curricular content. Our school subscribes to Discovery Education, which has thousands of educational videos. Most are max. 20 minutes, so I use that website a lot.

19. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Feb 15, 2011

Iron Will
    The Miracle Worker (third version)

20. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 15, 2011

I use movies as rewards. I stick to the Disney Classics, but have also been using newer Disney movies as well such as Finding Nemo, Cars, etc.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 15, 2011

Maybe twice a year I'll show a 30 minute movie (last week we had a pajama/movie/popcorn party for my birthday). It takes the place of free choice/play time in my schedule. I usually show a Clifford movie, because we have a good selection in our school library.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 15, 2011

We also have to have almost all videos that relate to our curriculum. Most are from Safari Montage, and are approved by the district (guideline is that we must watch them ourselves first).
    We don't watch many full length videos. We do Polar Express in place of our Winter Party, which also wraps up an Author study on Chris Van Alsburg. We also watch Horton Hears a Who for our Seuss day celebration, which ties in with our Dr. Seuss Author Study. We are given leave to watch any video that is in the library at the end of the school year (as a celebration).

23. teachntexas

teachntexas Rookie

Feb 15, 2011

Have you seen the French docudrama The Class?

24. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 15, 2011

Like others have said, anything I show has to be directly related to curriculum.

With my 9th graders, I show parts of O Brother, Where Art Thou? after we read The Odyssey and they write a compare/contrast essay with it. We also watch The Outsiders at the end of the year after we finish the novel

When I taught 10th grade, I showed Julius Caesar and To Kill a Mockingbird while we were reading those selections.

25. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

We have read Bridge to Terabithia and Tuck Everlasting and then watched the movie afterwards to compare novel to film, the kids loved it, and many loved the books more than the movie ;)

26. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

I am a fifth grade teacher and we have 45 mins of free time on Fridays for students who have earned a reward. Once in a while, I will do "Movie and Popcorn" as my free time reward (Respect Time as we call it). If the movie is rated G, we have the okay to show it to our class. However, if it is rated PG, we have to send a note home for parent permission before showing it. We don't get to watch the whole movie but students love sharing a bowl of popcorn and curling up on the beanbags to watch a film!

We have watched:
    Charlie Brown Valentine's Day
    The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
    Monsters Inc.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    and most recently, we got parent permission to watch a student favorite, Despicable Me!!

27. ReallyRachel

ReallyRachel Rookie

Feb 18, 2011

I had a principal that was totally against movies unless you could show in about 65 ways how it related to the curriculum. I tended to use them with books, comparing the book to the movie. My favorite for that is Shiloh,

28. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2011

Our public library has a great selection of educational videos (and since I live a town over from where I teach, I don't run into the problem of the kids having seen the same ones).

Also, I teach at a parochial school, so a VeggieTales movie is always a popular choice for a treat/reward. :)

29. H2H

H2H Rookie

Feb 18, 2011

Since you are a new teacher (I think) my advice to you would be to avoid any movies like the Beverly Hills Chi. . . one you mentioned. I show "videos" like Planet Earth, Life, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and things like that. The kids really enjoy them even though I stop them every minute or so for discussions. One episode in the Life Series will take approximately four 45 minute sessions to complete. It may seem weird to do that, but it really enhances the video for them. I will occasionally go back and show a segment uninterrupted if there was a lot of discussion points during the segment.

H2H

30. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg

Not sure if I spelled that right, but I went to see that at the museum's movie theater in high school and loved that I could halfway understand the movie even without the subtitles! It was a great learning experience.

31. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011

I show movies a couple of times a year for enjoyment, especially after a long day of state testing. We usually watch for about a half hour at a time and pick it up later. I LOVE Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Up.