Movies that should be seen by prospective teachers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

What movies should be seen by prospective teachers?
    I'll Start with some:
    Up the Down Staircase (1967)
    Blackboard Jungle (1955)
    Stand and Deliver (1988)
    Teachers (1984)
    Cipher in the Snow (1974)​

3. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

Tony Danza Teach (not a movie but still worthwhile)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Lean On Me. I try to watch that one every year. It gets me motivated whenever I'm starting to feel burned out.

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

Kindergarten Cop weirdly gets me motivated! :lol:

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

Agree.

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

Stand and Deliver is the ultimate movie for me.

Freedom Writers is Awesome also. I love Freedom Writers!!

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

To Sir with Love that's the movie that made me want to be a teacher

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I've never seen any of those movies, Dave. I'd like to see "Stand and Deliver". I'll have check that out on Netflix.

I've seen and enjoyed "Lean on Me". A movie I had to watch for grad school was "Freedom Writers".

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

Try To Sir with Love I promise you'll love it ;)

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I will do that! :)

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

Mr. Holland's Opus :)

14. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

Lean on Me is one of my favorite movies of all time. Have seen it at least 20 times or more. Even before I decided to teach I knew I could never work for someone like Joe Clark. Wooooh. Hollywood definitely put their sweet spin on things as they always do. It's an awesome movie.

Ron Clark's movie was pretty good.
    'Dangerous Minds' was okay but was really a disappointment. I saw this way before teaching was on my radar, but I was really expecting much more.

[​IMG]

I loved The Marva Collins Story. Her teaching style reminded me so much of myself. Unfortunately it turns out her school has folded.

"Marva Collins (born August 31, 1936) is an American educator who in 1975 started Westside Preparatory School in Garfield Park, an impoverished neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. She ran the school for more than 30 years until it closed in 2008 due to lack of sufficient enrollment and funding.[1] She is famous for applying classical education successfully with impoverished students, many of whom had been wrongly labeled as learning disabled by public schools."

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

Are perspective teachers those who teach perspective? JK :lol:

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

How about The Substitute 1-4? :haha:

17. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

School of Life

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

To Be and to Have, which is a beautiful French film. It's not a powerhouse inspirational, turn around a class from h*ll story. It is just a male teacher in a country school spending a regular year of ups and downs with his class. This is my all time favorite, but it is such a small little documentary that probably a lot of people never heard of it. It is just amazing.

The Class was another great French film, but about the inner city. It was super interesting to see the inner city in another country.

Happy Go Lucky is also about a teacher, and the moments she has with her students are just joyful, though perhaps her management style could use a bit of tightning up.

Another movie not mentioned yet was Chalk, which was this sort of improvised movie about an inner city school. It was good, because the teacher had highpoints, great moments, and made mistakes. It was good to watch that.

I like these film because they depict regular teachers having a regular year.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

Teachers
    Dead Poet's Society

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

This clip from Facing the Giants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPkUXGq1S0

It's a good metaphor for teachers and students. Some days I feel like the coach; some days I feel like Brock. But it always keeps me moving forward and motivated.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

I had stopped teaching when Teachers came out with Nick Nolte
    and the Taxi guy. It made it clear to me I needed to return (I was only out full time 4 months (and subbed during that).
    Best line in the movie was the teachers lounge when two teachers were talking about Ralph Machio not being able to read in her class.
    The crazy guy from Soap who was subbing asked her why she didnt teach him to read. She replied it was NOT her job,
    And he replied "But you are a teacher' It was so simple but profound. We do what is needed not our "job title".

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

D a m n I hate almost Homophones
    perspective and prospective even look alike when looked at quickly
    I think it was you, czacza, that found my last Homophone like goof.
    ORIGIN OF PERSPECTIVE late Middle English (in the sense ‘optics’ ): from medieval Latin perspectiva (ars) ‘science of optics,’ from perspect- ‘looked at closely,’ from the verb perspicere, from per- ‘through’ + specere ‘to look.’

ORIGIN OF PROSPECTIVE late 16th cent. (in the sense [looking forward, having foresight] ): from obsolete French prospectif, -ive or late Latin prospectivus, from Latin prospectus ‘view’ .​
    Well they both have to do with looking :whistle:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  23. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I also love Coach Carter
    The Blind Side is not exactly about teaching but I love the story.

24. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 28, 2011

The Ron Clark Story
    Freedom Writers
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Dead Poet's Society
    The Great Debaters

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

I'm still looking forward to Bad Teacher. I especially like Cameron Diaz's line "I thought I was getting into teaching for all the right reasons...summers off, short working hours, no accountability..". LOL.

I'm joking, of course, although I DO love the line where Timberlake(?) is arguing with the boy about Lebron vs Jordan.....
    Timberlake "Call me when Lebron has 6 rings"
    Sean "That's the only argument you got."
    Timberlake "That's the only argument I NEED, Sean!"

That line makes me laugh every time.

On a more serious note, there are several good sport-movies that I'm surprised have not been mentioned.

Hoosiers, Remember the Titans and Coach Carter to be specific.

I've not seen Coach Carter, but the other two were very good, especially Remember the Titans. The coach does an incredible job of overcoming the racial tensions of the school and bringing the players together. I especially liked the exercise requiring the white students to "interview" the blacks and vice versa, which helped them all realize the others were regular kids....just like them.

I've seen the Blackboard Jungle and it was pretty good too. From what I remember of Teachers, it isn't one I would have listed as an "inspirational" film. Maybe I need to go back and watch a few of these again (or for the first time) now that I have my Netflix account. :thumb:

26. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

Cerek, I love Remember the Titans. You are going to love Coach Carter. Coach Carter does an amazing job at coaching a group of inner city kids. He names strategy plays after women, it's so funny. What I love the most about this movie is that coach Carter has a strong emphasis on academics and he doesn't budge on asking all of his players to get passing grades even when parents are all over him. I love this movie.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

I will say it again, everyone needs to see To Sir With Love :)

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

That was one of my favorite things about Gene Hackman's character in Hoosiers. When he first gets there, he goes to visit the "star" player that loved the previous coach and is now saying he won't play for Gene. Hackman says he understands the boys' feelings and appreciates the loyalty he felt for his coach, but then surprises the boy by saying "I don't care if you play for me or not". The boy is shooting free throws the whole time and doesn't miss a single one...until Hackman basically tells him "I'm not giving in to your drama."

I also LOVED the scene where he benches several players for not passing the ball like they are supposed to. Then, when one of their players foul out and they only have 4 players left, the main player he benched jumps up and starts out on the floor. Hackman stops him and says "Where do you think YOU'RE going? Sit back down." The ref comes over and asks Hackman who he is gonna send in and Gene says "My team is on the floor."

He showed the kid - and the parents that had been trying to tell him what to do - that HE is in charge of the team and they WILL do what he says or they won't play.

I really like Samual L. Jackson as well, so I am definitely going to have to look up Coach Carter for future viewing.

29. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I just googled this movie and it looks really good. I'm making a list of movies from this thread. My goal this summer will be to watch all of the movies I haven't watched and this one is on the top of my list. :)

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

Well, my back to school repertoire is Billy Madison, Kindergarten Cop, and now maybe Bad Teacher. lol.

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

Oh, and if you haven't seen this gem, run, don't walk. I bet it's free on netflix. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093780/

The Principal with Jim Belushi. The WORST movie I have ever seen but if you teach, you will get tons of laughs.

32. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

33. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 28, 2011

I know I'm in the minority but I disagree. He got into teaching for all the wrong reasons- easy, secure, more time to pursue his passion of composing... He even told the principal that no one chooses teaching. He has an inappropriate relationship with a student. I just thought he was a pretty mediocre teacher and father throughout the majority of the movie.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

I would probably leave Dead Poets Society off the list. It's motivational, but I think there's a lot of bad teaching practices in it. There is a little Latin in it, though, so I guess maybe it might be redeemed by that. :)

I'd add the Breakfast Club to the list. I'm not sure if that one has already been mentioned. It's a good one.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

Take the Lead... I like that one.

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

What bad teaching practices in Dead Poets Society? It's been a while since I saw it, but I definitely learned more from my unconventional teachers than from ones who used "good" teaching practices. I learned the subject matter from each teacher I had, but the ones who went beyond the subject matter and taught about life, about being a good person, and about making a difference are the ones I remember. I think it's good to push students to explore out of their comfort zone and see what's out there. Sometimes, that might mean becoming human to them and sharing a bit of yourself.

37. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I love Dead Poets Society. Again, I'm all up for unconventional practices with the right heart of course.

In fact, Stand and Deliver could also be considered bad teaching practices by they way Escalante would talk to his students. Several times he would call them "burros" which means dumb. But it was the type of relationship and impact that he had with the students that made him great.

I just attended a workshop led by Robert Marzano. He talked about how some teachers seemed to follow their own practices but for some reason, it works for them. He advised administrators to leave those teachers alone.

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

I think that the classroom in DPS is too teacher-centered. I also think that the teacher turns a blind eye to inappropriate behaviors when he should be issuing consequences. Discipline has an important place in the classroom, and I don't like the message that teachers should let stuff go so that they can get in good with their students. That's all. It's probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the whole movie just rubs me the wrong way.

39. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

I think his classroom was more student-centered than any other in that school. I don't recall him having any classroom management problems, and I don't think he particularly cared if his students liked him or not. When I am managing a small class of gifted students, I run class quite differently than when I have a large class of general phase students. They have different needs, and require different methods to be effective. Certainly his teaching style would not work in a high poverty inner city environment, but having attended schools like that it would be very effective there.

40. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

:yeahthat:

41. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011

The sad part is with the cookie cutter, teach to the test, movement we have now, we will not see "the ones who went beyond the subject matter and taught about life, about being a good person, and about making a difference" :(:soapbox: