movies opening September 11

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

In the past few weeks, it seems there have been a number of commercials about movies opening September 11. And I have to admit, it bothers me... a LOT.

I'm not suggesting that we all go deep into mourning on that day, and not live our lives. And I realize that most of the country probably doesn't feel it as viscerally as we do around here. Furthermore, it's a Friday in September.

But it just seems so incredibly disrespectful to me. That day has a significance that few others on the calendar have.

I'm fine with the fact that movies open on Christmas. I celebrate Christmas, but lots of people don't, and they can enjoy the movie.

But, as a nation, we were all attacked on that day. I simply don't see it as a day for celebration. I know someone who had planned to celebrate her 10th anniversary in AA on that date. (Obviously the party got postponed.) She now has her parties on the 10th or the 12-- that day is just out of the question.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

I kindof see what you're saying, but at the same time, I think it's just a sign that the nation is healing. Personally, I was appalled that more attention wasn't given to the recent anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. A similar amount of destruction was done that day, yet I'm betting most people went about their daily lives, even in the areas most impacted, which are still no where near to being rebuilt. It's just a sign of the resiliency of people all across the country that these anniversaries become a day for a simple ceremony and move on, like Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. For that matter, why do we party and celebrate on Memorial Day, which should be a very somber holiday!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

Because this is still raw. There are still kids in elementary school growing up without a dad or mom or both because of it.

Because it wasn't an act of God, it was an attack. It's not a story of survival of the human spirit, it's a story of people who tried to hurt us and succeeded.

Because almost 3,000 people died. Not by accident or through any fault of their own. But because someone decided they should, for the simple crime of either being American or merely being in America.

Because the victims were civilians.

I'm not compaing 9/11 with Katrina or Peal Harbor Day or anything else. I'm not sure we can.

But I know it's not a day for celebration.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

Alice...I can't remember the movies opening...but if it's an action packed movie I too think it should be bypassed opening that day...a good family movie would be nice. I think Sept 11 like you said is still raw & makes me apprecieate my family more.

I have a fam member's bday that day. Before the attack it was Oh that's your bday...to know Oh & then Ooooh.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

I'm not sure if I'd mind it if they weren't quite so loud about it. I don't mind that movies open that day, but just having a giant "September 11" on the screen bugs me.

That days off work often become celebratory is one reason I would hate having September 11 become a national holiday, ever.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 31, 2009

I agree alice, I think that because we live closer and are more able to see the lasting effects of the day, we are more sensitive to it.

however, 9/11 is a friday this year, perhaps it is more a timing thing for these movie releases?

8. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 31, 2009

Yeah, a lot of movies open on Fridays. I really don't think we should stop our whole lives and post pone everything just because they are to fall on September 11. Should we post pone everything on the day JFK died or on the day of the Oklahoma City bombing? I think a little bit of mourning is fine but to delay the everyday happenings of life. Yes there are still a lot of people who are healing and trying to get over and adjust to what happened but I think moving on and trying to stay strong and living everyday is good for everyone.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 31, 2009

Going to the movies on that day could be a good way for some people to get through it if it is hard for them. Some need a distraction on a painful day. Just my :2cents:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

I'm not saying we should shut down the country.

Just maybe not have mega movie premiers.

And "a little bit of mourning" can't begin to cover it.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

I understand what you are saying. I watched the Pentagon burn from my house. But it has been a number of years now, and I think we need to remember, but I'm not so sure that terrorists need to see us imterrupting normal activity. I prefer to see things like the movies as a sign of resilience. I am sure that just seeing the date on movie posters acts as a reminder and makes people pause a bit and remember. Obviously there are other ways to remember too, but I think the date has impact regardless.

12. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

Well I don't think that all celebrations should be postponed on that date. My birthday is on the 11th. I am not moving my birthday. I am not going to celebrate my birthday on the 10th or the 12th. I wasn't born on the 10th or the 12th. But then I also don't put my life on hold for the FLQ crisis or the AirIndia bombing. Just because an attack happened on that day doesn't mean all other positive things on that day cease to exist.

13. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

Maybe I'm the one in the wrong here, but personally I hate that we make a HUGE deal out of it every year. I'm not saying to forget that it ever happened...but how can a family even begin to move on if every year the world stops on that day???? I nearly lost a relative at the Pentagon and from what I understand it was a really just down right horibbly emotional day (I have no memories of it myself but that's a whole nother story). I have respect for everyone who lost their lives and for everyone who's still fighting for us....but at the same time I really think we need to stop making it a huge deal each and every year. I have friends who lost family and feel the same way...They don't feel as if they are ever able to move past loosing a parent or sibling because every year they turn on the TV and it's rubbed into their face.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

I think there's a huge deal between "making a huge deal of it" and choosing another day for your movie premier...like one of the other 3 Fridays in September.

And I will never, as long as I live, forget the terror of that day. Or the tears cried by everyone I knew in the weeks that followed. And I think it's OK to grieve one day a year for all those lives that were cut short, and all those that were destroyed. And all those people who never got to say goodbye. And all those people who had to assume that their loved ones perished, but will never know for sure because their remains were never found.

Apparently I'm in the minority with my view on the topic.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

Alice I see your side. I think if they want a movie to be released it should be something the whole family could enjoy. For one Friday do we have to see guns blaring at each other.

I do not think we should forget what happened that day nor do I think the world should come to an end, but there is such a thing as respect.

I mean to me it's kinda like a Pearl Harbor type day...Can we all just for a moment remember all of those who were lost, it's not about the world stopping, but we can't erase that it happened either.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

Alice I totally understand where you are coming from. I had friends that died in 9/11 and some family that came very close to death.

I agree that we shouldn't stop everything on 9/11, but is it really that hard to plan a movie opening for the 10th or the 12th? I think it's a small thing to ask and that moviemakers could respect that. Or the very least they could open the movie at midnight on 9/12 so that viewers don't have to see "SEPTEMEBER 11TH" in big letters across the screen during every commercial break.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

I haven't really seen any, but I didn't even think about that being splashed across the screen. Maybe I'm sensitve, but when certain days are coming up, see them or something of that nature that's where my mind wonders to. So I can imagine for those who lost loved ones it would be hard just seeing that all the time...plus as they get closer to the date they play it more!!!!

18. KDS

KDS Companion

Aug 31, 2009

I understand both sides. But if my AA birthday fell on 9/11 i would celebrate it no matter what!

In fact, mine falls on my dad's birthday! We celebrate both.

i think we can celebrate personal stuff while still being mindful that many people are still affected by tragic events.

In fact there was a rather famous assasination on my belly button birthday.
    1914 – Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip, the casus belli of World War I.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 31, 2009

The nation is trying to heal.

I'm on the Jersey coast and my town and the surrounding area lost like ~30 people, the most outside of NYC.

Think of celebrations on the 11th as rememberance.

The parties? Everyone is having a good time, but once they remember what date it is, in the back of their minds, they will remember that day.

The movies? The nation is healing. We are moving on, but not forgetting.

Will people still have moments of silence? Sure.

20. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

It just seems like it would benefit the movie business to stay away from the risk of offending more people when it's not that hard to move the opening date by one day.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

I don't think anyone here has said not to give up your celebrations for bdays or whatever. But it could be hard for some to keep seeing the date September 11 on TV all the time without those that can remember going right to that moment.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2009

When I was in my senior year of college, in the Fall of 2001, I took an expository writing class. The only "textbook" for the class was the Sunday issue of the New York Times. Our assignment was to write 3 mini essays and one major essay each week based on anything we read about in the NY Times.

Two weeks into the class was 9/11/01. My professor's daughter lost her best friend in the Pentagon. One of my most prized possessions is my collection of newspapers and almost 50 essay responses from that time, which almost all are memoirs and reflections of 9/11.

The one that comes to mind right now is that during the week of 9/11 there was an article that discussed a movie or play that made some jokes about the Holocaust and Nazis. My reflection on this was how long do we mourn before we can laugh? During the week of 9/11, it seemed impossible to me that anyone could ever make a joke about that day and I would find it funny. But I am sure that many people involved in WWII and the Holocaust would say the same thing. How long does it take until we are so far removed from an event that we are immune to it? It might not ever happen in our lifetimes - only in future generations. That article just made me think - someday, will someone be laughing about this, too? And in some time far removed from now, is that even a bad thing?

I think location, people involved, and many other factors determine how long we need to grieve this event, but for some it is already far removed - something that happened on the other side of the nation. I, for one, still grieve and remember that day, but I know I have students already who don't remember a thing about it. I think it is important to educate and ask others to remember, but I fully expect that there will also be people who move on and, for example, might go to the movies.

23. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 31, 2009

Alice- I completely agree with you. When I saw the commercials for movies come out on September 11th, it just made me really uncomfortable. This is the first year I can remember that happening. The difference (at least in my mind) is that the day "september 11th" is what we reference to the terrible event. We call Hurricane Katrina-- "Hurricane Katrina", not the day that it happened. Same goes will a lot of recent tradegies. I hope that makes sense (Does it?). The date is what we call the attack, and that makes seeing "September 11th" on my tv for upcoming movies difficult. I think that it hasn't been long enough for people to stop associating that day with terror (I don't think it will ever completely go away).

Just a side note: one of the movies is "I Can Do Bad All By Myself"... the fact that it references doing bad bothers me since such a "bad" thing happened that day. Just my opinion.

24. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

I'm with you, Alice. I noticed the first commercial a week or so ago, and was momentarily stunned that a movie would come out on that date. Not to mention flash the date across the screen in big block letters. It made me incredibly uncomfortable, and I don't agree with it. I'm slightly surprised that so many people here seem to have no problem with it. Perhaps I'm biased on this topic because I'm from New York and all too close to it, but I think a little respect for the day is in order. It wouldn't kill the movie business to move their premieres to Saturday. I, in fact, would have been impressed if a movie HAD waited until Saturday to open.

25. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Aliceacc I agree with what you are saying. I am in CA and didn't know anybody over there, but, every stranger to me is someones loved one, someones wife, mother, husband, brother, sister, best friend, etc.. I felt/feel awful thinking about it, I can only imagine how awful it was/is for people who were there or had loved ones there. I am not saying people should stop living their lives, just to remember that sometimes a little sensitivity can go a long way.

26. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

I think they are opening on Sept. 11 because it's a Friday and that's when movies usually open.

27. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 31, 2009

I totally understand what you are saying, but I also think that we have to keep living. Around here, it was really hard to see the nation moving on after the Oklahoma City bombing, and I still get teary when I'm around OKC... and it's been almost 15 years. But things have gone on and people have continued with their lives. I guess I'm just saying there is a difference between not forgetting and reopening a wound. I think it's important to remember what happened, but in my opinion it should be a day of remembering, not a day of mourning. Does that make sense?

28. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 31, 2009

If opening on a Friday is important, why don't they open on the 4th or the 18th?

29. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 31, 2009

I agree Alice, I think it's a gross case of insensitivity.

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 31, 2009

I was surprised when I saw the date for my step-daughter's junior high choir party since it is the Friday in question.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

Alice- I'm totally with you. :love:

On a positive note- I drove past a shopping center today which had a banner stating : "September 11- Patriots' Day". :thumb:

32. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

The reason they aren't opening on one of Thursday is that they need big opening nights (success of an entire movie is tied to that first night). Friday is a bigger night than Thursday. The can't put all the movies on the other Fridays because there would be too many movies for too few slots. I have a second job - most of my events are on the weekend - on a month with a long weekend (hence less working evenings) I see a big impact on my sales. The movie companies are only doing what hey always do. If movies shouldn't open on Sept. 11th why not just close everything down for the day by making it a national holiday that doesn't allow stores to open?

33. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

I'm a member of a bridal site, and some brides have gotten married on Sept 11:eek: That is very weird and crazy to me. There's nooooo way I'd want my anniversary to be the same as that horrific day.

I personally think more attention should still be paid to Hurricane Katrina than what has been (I'm not saying pay Katrina more attention than 9/11----I'm just saying Katrina should be given more attention than what it has been). Many of the people were too poor, elderly, or sick to evacuate, and the city did not help them. So it's not just their faults.

The hurricane was an act of God, but what happened after the hurricane was an act of man.....being racist and treating the survivors like animals. Not dropping any water or food for them....calling them "refugees" rather than evacuees......the list goes on and on.

New Orleans failed, and the US government failed. Thousands of people did die, but that number could have been a lot lower had the government treated them like US Citizens and civilians, and not some wild animals who are less than human.

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Several of my relatives were raped in the aftermath of Katrina, too. Not just one -- several.

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I know on my calendar it is called Patriot's Day. Does anyone have off school that day, maybe in New York or DC? Opening a movie on 9/11 because it happens to fall on a Friday is one thing. Specifically opening because people have off work or school and they are taking advantage like they would for Christmas is just despicable.

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Oh, don't get me started on the whole thing about calling it Patriot's Day. There's already a Patriot's Day. That holiday involves a marathon, a Red Sox game, and beer. Plenty of beer. I feel like it cheapens both days to call them the same name.

Also, almost all movies open on Fridays. The only time that they don't is when it is a holiday week and they open on a Wednesday or whatever to make more money while people are off of work. These movies are not opening on that date to take advantage of people off work. It doesn't look like anything with a huge opening will open that weekend anyway. Four movies? A sci fi movie, a Tyler Perry movie, a typical college girl killer movie, and a documentary about a magazine? No major star power, nothing!

This reminds me of the week following September 11th when I was in film school in Boston and we discussed in a class the Spiderman ads that had been pulled because they showed Spidey catching some bad guys in a giant web between the World Trade Center. This one guy stood up and gave this passionate speech about how he didn't think they should have been pulled, because in a time like this if we can't trust our superheroes to make things right and prevent crime and terrorism, who can we trust? He got a standing ovation. come to think of it, my views of stopping everytihng on that day are probably skewed by the fact that the college I was attending at that time did not cancel classes at all and I was called in to work extra then to cover for students who were more directly impacted, or to provide extra support. That immediate attitude of "life must go on" probably changed how I would normally respond.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

:wow:Beer, plenty of beer. Doesn't seem like that could be cheapened by too much. :dizzy:

If anything, sharing a name with a day that is dedicated to heroes and remembrance would be an honor.

38. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

Alice...

You know..I was thinking the same thing.

I see tv ads...and theater trailers... and at the end, they will tip-top around the opening date.

"Coming soon"
    "Opening in September"
    "the eleventh of September"
    "11.9.09"

And...they know. It's a hard sell. WHY...because it's soon enough that even the name of the date stirs up too much.

I'm not going to stay rolled in a heap. And if I were teaching - which I'm not - I would probably be doing more to memorialize the date... but still... it's just weird to hear entertainment advertised for that date.

And if i were a star...and had any say...I would say..."naw, the weekend before, the weekend afterward///but not the 11th."

That all said...

My nephew's birthday is on the 9/11. That day was actually his 21st birthday. Life does goes on. It can't stop.

Side note: Our family has a tradition of going to the movies on Christmas evening. It doesn't cheapen the day...or make us any less of Christians celebrating the birthday of our Lord. it's just a traditional way we spend time together.

9/11 still stings. In a way, i don't want it to stop stinging. But I know that everything eventually moves into it's respectful place in our world.

And I see that i am talking in circles here. Maybe that shows that I am still in the air with the whole thing.

39. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I have a student this year whose birthday is on the 11th. It's strange because my students are too young to have any memory of it. Because there are no direct connections, for him it will always be a "This Date in History." It's just hard to believe that there are already so many people who know about Pearl Harbor and September 11th in the same way.

As for the movies, I was also kind of surprised. I don't think I would go out to movies on that night, and I wasn't personally impacted. Not that our lives shouldn't go on, but it would just not feel right to me (and if it was a birthday or other celebration, I wouldn't avoid that).

40. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

I understand what you're saying Alice. I worked in a major city on 9/11 and it was a scarey day...parent came by to pick up their kids b/c no one knew if our city could be next. However, my hometown, that I've now moved back to, only had a few kids leave that day. People here remember it, but different than those in the city. As a first grade teacher, my kiddos I have this year weren't even born on that day. That being said, it will always be a day when I stop and think about what happened. Now even more so since one of my nephews has signed up for the Army.

Yes, life does go on, but to me, I think they could have not opened any movies that week, they still would have made money off of other movies that are already out.

41. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

Some-one mentined...and I have to agree...

I think a difference is how it is referred to. September 11th/ 9-11.

Maybe decades ago...it was easier to go on when it was Pearl Harbor Day... but when it's an actual DATE... it'll always sting.

What other things do we know by date?

The fourth of July
    Cinco de Mayo

That's about it.

When the name is a date...it's hard to think of anything ELSE.

Patriot's Day? I don't know.

The people born on September 11th might be happy for the name change. As is, when my nephew is asked to tell someone his birthday he is greeted with "oh, I'm sorry." or "Tough luck on THAT one." How sad.

My son, on the other hand, has a birthday on Cinco de Mayo...and people tell him - "how cool that everyone celebrates your birthday!"