Movie Making

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 24, 2008

Hello everyone,

I just got a video camera handed down to me from my brother (fairly new) and I want to start having the class make movies to enhance some of the curriculum we're studying. Does anyone do anything like this? I really want my students to produce quality movies and I'm wondering how you go about walking your students through the process (for example, coming up with a storyline, writing a script, props, etc.). If you do any sort of movie making in your class I would love to hear what you do and how you do it. Thanks.

3. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

hey I once got fired for taking a video...I dont mean this to scare you ...Just double check with your school policies...

4. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 24, 2008

oh.. thanks for the warning.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2008

I guess, in response to being fired.... maybe you should send home a permission slip allowing you to take movies of your class, besides checking school policy.

If everything goes through fine, then one place I would look to get some ideas on movie making is Beth Newingham's site. She does a lot of movies in her class.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 24, 2008

I am starting movie making next week!

Check out this website. You can download, like 200 pages worth of worksheets and information. I downloaded and printed the whole thing, then had it bound at kinkos. It's my movie making BIBLE with kids.

http://www.film-foundation.org/common/11004/info_request.cfm?clientID=11004

You MUST get this... It looks like you may have to order it instead of download it. Get it in any case. Also contact your local public access station. My first production with the kids was with their help. Because ours was funded by the county, it was required they have an educational component and they came to my school for free, taught us how to use the equipment and also lent us everything we needed (lights, mics, cameras, blue screen, etc.)

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jan 25, 2008

I am downloading the book right now. So far.. it is just what I was looking for! What type of movie will your class be filming?

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 25, 2008

My kids are going to work in groups of 5. They need to write a three page script with a beginning, middle and end, no more than 3 actors and using the setting of the school. Other than that, it will be up to them.

I have done documentaries before. This will be different from that... more process and writing, than research based.