Moved into grade level you don't want?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Leatherette, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

Hi Elementary teachers,

Has anyone else had the experience of a principal moving teachers around willy-nilly, apparently just because he/she can? We have 14 classroom teachers total, and 5 are being switched around to grade levels they don't want and had no input into the process. One more is leaving due to the impending switches, so there were 6. We just implemented new math and writing curricula this past year, and now they all have to learn a new level. Two of them have a reputation for not being very strong teachers, and that seems to be some of the rationale, but is that how you help a teacher improve, when you have given no constructive support/assistance? And does a poor 2nd grade teacher make a good 1st grade teacher?

Our principal is leaving our building, not on good terms with hardly anyone, and it just seems to all be done out of spite. It is not as if she has just started caring about the quality of the teaching after not caring about the school at all for the time she's been here.

If someone had this happen, did it get reversed by the new principal? I have not been moved, but it is deeply affecting the school and pitting teachers against each other. And she is telling strong teachers that they are being moved because teacher X isn't a good teacher, so teacher X gets their position. It is sad to see, and being handled very unprofessionally on the part of the principal.

Any thoughts or BTDT?

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I haven't personally BTDT but I have been in schools where it has happened. You are right, it's usually a tactic to force a few weak teachers to leave. Unfortunately, it can often backfire and turn into a huge mess just like you described. I think it's a weak and cowardly way for a principal to deal with problems, passive aggressive if you will. Instead of dealing with the issues head on and telling teachers up front how he/she perceives their performance the principal just moves everybody around to try and force out a few- pitiful. On campuses where this happens things usually fall apart and morale goes in the toilet, sad. Sorry I don't have any advice except transfer out if you can. But you said there will be a new principal so hopefully things will change for the better quickly.

4. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I got moved into a grade level that I didn't want a few years ago. They told me that it was because they needed a strong teacher in that position because of the incoming classes, but I know it was because one of the other teachers and I didn't get along. I made the best of it, but it was never my "fit". I ended up leaving that school later and that was the best decision I ever made.

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I am returning to my old campus where I taught 3rd grade for 5 years. Last year I taught 4th in another district and didn't like it. I called my old principal, who I never had any problems with, and told her I wanted to come back. She said she currently had a 2nd grade position open and she could hire me for that. I told her I would like to be moved back to 3rd grade due to having lots of material, experience, and good TAKS scores. Since being hired for 2nd two 3rd grade position came open and I emailed her about them. All she told me was she already had someone in mind, after me repeatedly telling her I wanted 3rd should it come open. She led me to believe that this would happen. I am heartbroken because I love 3rd and wanted to be back with the teachers I taught with before. Many people do not like the principal because I heard she is being dirty, so I may have to wait for a new principal to come in before I can move back to 3rd.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 17, 2009

i'm being moved to 2nd grade. i'd rather stay in third. but because I will be on maternity leave for part of the year I took the move willingly so that test scores in the spring wouldn't be jeopardized. Next year I will move back to third. I prefer more content.

7. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

This is happening in our school right now. I'm moving from 1st grade self contained to 3rd/4th/5th writing teacher. Big jump! She's moving higher grade teachers down, lower grade teachers up and I think it's going to be a HUGE mess this year. Any advice for a teacher moving into 4th grade form a primary grade??

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

The year I got moved to kindergarten the principal moved several teachers around that didn't want to move. SHe did it for spite. She didn't like those teachers so she moved them to grades she felt sure that they would do poorly. BUT those teachers did not fail at all. Infact they have thrived.

9. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

That happened at my school 2 years ago. The principal was leaving, and he gave no justification for his grade level and room changes, but moved 10 teachers in the school (we only have about 15). A lot of people were unhappy because the placements they got were not in their top three choices (he had asked us to rank our GL choices) and they felt he was just doing it to "stir the pot" and because he wouldn't have to deal with the fall-out.

It ended up working out ok, and I give almost all credit to our new principal last year. I know a ton of teachers went to her and complained over the summer, before she even had a chance to get to know us or figure out what was wrong/right. She started the year off saying that she understood that there had been a huge change, but she was going to keep things that way and she hoped we trusted and respected her enough to give her time to figure out on her own what would and wouldn't work. She was strong about the decision that had been made (even though it wasn't hers) and I think it helped calm things down, because it showed us that she wasn't the type of flip-flop on decisions or make big changes on a whim.

Good luck! I think a lot of how it could end up next year depends on your new principal and how they handle the situation.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2009

I was moved to a fifth grade position due to low numbers one year. I wasn't the one to move, but I suggested that I would like the third grade position. He not only moved me, but all the way up to fifth (I had only taught kinder at that time). I was shocked and upset, but soon that wore off and I started researching all I can.

I ended up LOVING fifth grade! Sometimes, a move is good for you.