Move Up Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kacieann, May 11, 2010.

1. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 11, 2010

Do you have a grade level move up day? We are doing this for the first time. I am not sure what it looks like. What types of activities do you do with the students. I was thinking maybe an overview PowerPoint of the things they will to learn?

3. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 11, 2010

We do a Move Up Day every year. I switch it up each year. Last year, I did an overview of what the kids would learn, however, I had my current class break into groups and explain it to my incoming group. The only reason I was able to have my current group was because the teacher that taught 6th grade was leaving and there was no reason for my current kids to "move up."

The year before that I did a time capsule activity. The kids did handprints, string to see how tall they were, likes and dislikes, etc. Great thing about that is I actually ended up moving up too, so they didn't have me till now. I'm looking forward to opening up our capsule in a couple of weeks. It's been two years. Unfortunately, I have one new girl who wasn't here two years ago, so she won't have anything in it. Wish I would have thought about it in the beginning of the year and I would have had her fill out the stuff for at least the year.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2010

This sounds like fun.

While we are 90% sure of class placements and teacher assignments at the end of the school year, there are inevitably changes over the summer. The students find out the first day of school which class they are in and who their teacher is.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 12, 2010

Years ago at our small elementary school we had a staff in place for many years. One grade one class. The last day of school we would all go outside for cold watermelon and after that each class would move up to the new teacher and the 5th grade would go back to K (him having taught most of them) It was fun.

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

May 12, 2010

I have them do an activity for the next years beginning of school bulletin board. I give them a packet of info to take home to their parents about he upcoming next year. But we spend the majority of the time creating a get to know you glyph of the bulletin board. Then in August I already have bulletin board idea.