Move to Arizona

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 22, 2018

Great question! Some grumbled, but I made the case that I still charge less than the vast majority of tutors in my area and I commute to meet them, so gas is included in my hourly rate. I also talked about rising gas prices as a result of the new law that just went effect at the beginning of the year and they agreed that it was fair, although reluctantly. Some parents even commented that they were wondering when I would raise my rates because I was selling myself short. The reason I charged so little when I started out was because I didn’t know what I as worth. I thought it was reasonable, but it was way less than I could be making.

I’m happy because I will be getting an envelope from one client for $1,380 in the next week! :D

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 22, 2018

Average tutoring rate in my area is in the $100-$120/hr range. I plan to get just below that.

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

6. ShinoMay

ShinoMay Guest

Jun 4, 2018

Hi All,
    My sister is thinking of moving to AZ from NY. She is a HS biology teacher and has been offered many positions in AZ. The one she is seriously thinking about taking is a 20K pay cut from her NY salary. (I think that it is a bad idea to make this move) I have a few questions that I was hoping you all would have some opinions on. How supportive is the admin. in the Phoenix area? Can a single person live on a 47K salary there? How is the budget for science? How often do teachers leave a school for a better job/ salary? Do they have updated tech? Is there anything else she should know before making this decision that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance!

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2018

Concerning these Arizona teachers: “Adjusted for local cost of living, federal figures show elementary teachers actually rank 49th in earnings and high school teachers 48th.” Not a great motivation for one to move to AZ, even with the proposed salary increases.

Top of the scale in my district is more than 30K more than the maximum one can make in Phoenix.

9. Mitchell Nichols

Mitchell Nichols New Member

Jun 5, 2019

My family and I are thinking about moving to Arizona. I am a high school art teacher and am wondering how hard it is to find an art teaching position there.... Really looking forward to living there.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2019

One thing to remember is that there a lot of school districts in Arizona. The county where Phoenix is (Maricopa County) has 58 school districts and that is just one county. The pay can vary a lot from district to district--especially as one moves up the scale with more experience and education. While none of them are high, there are some that pay noticeably better than others. Most of these pay scales should still be online.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2019

Yes, a single person can live on 47K in the Phoenix area. Like most big cities, the housing and apartment prices can vary greatly depending on square footage of place and location. Plenty of info online about prices for apartments or houses.

The budget for science? This will vary a lot from district to district.
    Some districts and schools see a lot of turnover. The 3 largest reasons I have seen teachers quit are in order:
    1. They want to switch to another school for location or a better school situation--such as better administration.
    2. They want to leave teaching as they don't think it is for them.
    3. They want to leave over pay...this is more common in the first few years when teaching pay is the worst.

I like teaching in AZ a lot, and can afford it just fine now. 1st two years ( in the 1990s) when I made $23K or less with student loans...those were tough!

Leaborb192 likes this.