Mountain Math

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ranger1stgrd, May 31, 2009.

1. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

May 31, 2009

I purchased mountain math a couple of years ago and I tried to use it that first year and I wasn't very faithful. I want to try again. Does anybody use it or have some ideas for me on how they use it or when they use it in their day.

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 31, 2009

I use it as morning work or right after lunch work so they know exactly what to do when they come in. There are about 20 questions, right? So, in our grade level, we put up 5 of the questions at a time, teach the kids how to do it for a week and then they can do it independently for the rest of the quarter. Quarter 2 has 5 different MM questions posted. They get used to the routine and even the strugglers have it by the end of the quarter! Also, it takes up a LOT less room in the classroom to have 5 as opposed to 20 of those big old strips at a time!

Oh, the other part that saved my life: each question has a set of cards, so we hole-punched the set and put rings through and I hang them on thumb tacks. So, each morning I just pull off question one, flip the front card back and the next card is ready to go!

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 31, 2009

Here's a picture of my Mountain Language, which I do the same way. You can kind of see the rings and thumbtacks. And how it only takes up half of a bulletin board. HTH!
    [​IMG]

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 31, 2009

Okay, this may be a silly question, but what is Mountain math? is it a basal program?

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

May 31, 2009

I have mountain math but have yet to use it. This year, my 1st year, I was given the option to do either mountain math or minute math. I chose min math but it was a pain! So next year I will be doing Mountain Math. I am not looking forward to cutting everything out... At least I have all Summer! I am glad you guys shared the hole punching and hanging them on pins. Great idea!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 31, 2009

We use Target Math and in kindergarten we only use one section per day (usually 2 or 3 cards) and I just include it at calendar time because all of our stuff is oral. First grade has to write their response and they have a page they fill in for TM each day. They use it right after recess while the kids are getting water/going to the restroom, similar to doing morning work, but it is after lunch/recess. It seems like it is a good way to get them refocused for the afternoon and not waste that time while the kids are getting water/going to the RR.

8. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

KLS, Mountain Math is more of a supplement. It includes cards that review specific math concepts. It is something we use just for practice, in addition to our regular math program.

It's nice because you may be doing a unit on telling time during math time, but every day they are still practicing place value, addition, comparing, patterns...or whatever else is up on the Mountain Math board.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Our second grade team does it faithfully. They have it set up in a hallway. A parent volunteer comes in and works with the kids. They do this once a week--not sure on the specifics of their system. I know that only about 6 kids are in the hall at a time working with a parent.

10. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jun 2, 2009

Thanks everybody for the input. I was thinking of using it as morn. work also. But I hadn't thought about using only 5 at a time.