Motivators

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by frogger, Sep 10, 2014.

1. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 10, 2014

What are some good motivators for a child that can do the work but just doesn't want to do it? He is in 2nd grade.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

Why doesn't he want to do the work? What kind of work is it? What are some activities he likes?

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 13, 2014

He likes to draw. He likes to talk about his legos, star wars, video games and movies he's watched. He doesn't like to write. He doesn't like math or to read. He says it's boring.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

How about if he does 2 minutes of work, he gets 5 minutes to do one activity he likes - like maybe play with some legos at his desk quietly?

Or you could give him stars/stickers/points/check marks every time he does his work for five minutes, then when he accrues x # of <things> he can do his choice activity for 10-15 minutes.

6. apJones

apJones New Member

Sep 16, 2014

I have been developing a tool that allows my students to work for their motivators independently. It is a lockbox with a visible lid, so that they can see the motivator within. They earn a token for each of their completed tasks which unlock the box when enough coins are present. I have had a great deal of success with all types of students using it