Motivators for Above and Beyond Acts in Your Classroom

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

Each student is going to have a business card size card next year that will have his or her name on it. Each card will be numbered 1-20. After I initial 1-20 for doing awesome things like completing all homework for the week, receiving a compliment, helping a friend, being kind to a teacher, etc., they will redeem the card for a reward.

What kinds of rewards do you think are reasonable for this? I am considering-
    -20 extra credit points on an assignment
    -1 free night of homework
    -5 Starbursts

I think I'll probably give my students a choice as well. :cool: I may want a few more options (probably 5), so what else do you consider good for fourth graders? Though I've taught five years of fourth grade and I'm sure I can think up five rewards easily enough, your help may give me an idea I couldn't have thought of on my own.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

4. ktshafra

ktshafra Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

We do something similar in my Fourth grade except we call them Credit Cards. They get stamps during the trimester for exceptional behavior, having a clean desk for random desk checks, etc. Either myself, my aide, or the Teacher's Assistant (student of the day) can stamp credit cards. At the end of the trimester I collect them, count up all the stamps, and students select a trinket from our prize bucket. Those with the most stamps have the first pick and then the student with the second most, etc, etc. Even if someone loses a credit card they earn 1 "invisible" stamp when I tally cards so everyone can choose a prize. Of course the best prizes are taken early on by those with the most stamps. The credit cards seem to be quite a motivator.

I also have a "best" space on my white board. When I see students on task or transitioning smoothly/quickly, I will write their number on the board. At the end of the day they get a stamp on their credit card. I was surprised to see how well this worked.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

I REALLY love this idea. I am going to use it. I will probably use it to enforce a list of "scholarly behaviors" we are employing school-wide next year. I also really like the "best" space on teh board--great way to manage the task of stamping...could even have a student helper do the stamps at the end of the day.

I also like that it could encourage responsibilty because they would have to start over if they lose it.

As for rewards, I think these aren't all that original, but I will mention them anyways:

computer time
    sit with a friend
    special lunch with the teacher and other winners

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks! :)

I may go for Sit at Special Table with a Friend All Day and let the winner sit with his or her friend at the table I am decoupaging. :)