Motivational Openers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mudpie1598, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Oct 30, 2007

Hi all! I'm taking a math class and in this class we're supposed to bring a Motivational Opener to present to the class. The facilitator showed us an example of an opener by giving us a napkin, she talked about it having four quadrants, and slightly talked about percentages (half the napkin is folded, 1/4 of the napkin is showing, etc.) then, she gave everyone a napkin then a 1/2 cup full of various edible items such as nuts, raisins, m&m's, and fish crackers. We sorted each item into one quadrant of the napkin.

My question is this: What Motivational Openers do you use? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:help:

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 30, 2007

When introducing addition story problems with counters, I first give stories and model how to use the counters by using the students. Anytime the kids are involved, they are motivated!!!

4. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Oct 30, 2007

Thanks!

Great idea, thanks! How do you introduce shapes to them?:2up:

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Nov 1, 2007

For shapes, I have some kids come up and form a shape with thier bodies.

6. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Nov 1, 2007

I bring in a digital camera and have the kids help take pictures of shapes around the school. We then print the photos and make a book. It takes about one hour so it's more of a lesson than an opener though.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 2, 2007

we make shapes with wikki stiks. I also try to bring in food in each shape (ice cream cone, orange, rice crispy bar, egg, and the box one is harder to think of off the top of my head. This are a few I have used.)